Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Stroller

Default vlc wants to slot ffmpeg?

Hi there,

With an `emerge -pv world` today I've noticed an anomaly with vlv &
ffmpeg. It initially came up with a portage message which reported
AFAIR a package would be slotted for the first time. I uninstalled
vlc just for the moment, and upgraded ffmpeg to the latest version.
Still I see this problem:

901 ~ $ emerge -pv ffmpeg

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] media-video/ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20080326 USE="a52 aac doc
encode mmx mp3 network theora truetype vorbis x264 xvid zlib -X (-
altivec) -amr -bindist -debug -hardcoded-tables -ieee1394 -imlib -
ipv6 -sdl -test -threads" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
901 ~ $ emerge -pv vlc

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild UD] media-video/ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20070616 [0.4.9_p20080326]
USE="a52 aac doc encode mmx network ogg%* theora truetype vorbis x264
xvid zlib -X (-altivec) -amr -debug -ieee1394 -imlib -oss% -sdl -test
-threads -v4l% (-bindist%) (-hardcoded-tables%) (-ipv6%) (-mp3%*)" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] media-video/vlc-0.8.6g USE="a52 dvd flac live mp3
mpeg musepack ncurses ogg png samba stream svga theora truetype vlm
vorbis win32codecs x264 xml -3dfx -X -aalib -alsa (-altivec) -arts -
avahi -bidi -cdda -cddb -corba -daap -dc1394 -debug -directfb -dts -
dvb -esd -fbcon -ggi -gnome -gnutls -hal -httpd -jack -libcaca -
libnotify -lirc -matroska -modplug -nsplugin -opengl -optimisememory -
oss -rtsp -sdl -sdl-image -seamonkey -shout -skins -speex -svg -upnp -
v4l -vcd -wxwindows -xinerama -xosd -xulrunner -xv" 11,417 kB

Total: 2 packages (1 downgrade, 1 new), Size of downloads: 11,417 kB
902 ~ $

I would (obviously) prefer not to have two different versions of
ffmpeg on my system, and you'll see that the version pulled in by vlc
has the mp3 USE flag forcibly disabled. I don't know that I've ever
actually used vlc, so this is probably unimportant, but I'd like to
have it installed just in case I want to stream video around the
house in the future. Does anyone know if there's a workaround for this?

Cheers,

Stroller.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
"Brian Johnson"

Stroller,

This doesn't mean that ffmpeg is slotted. It means that the version of VLC you're trying to merge depends on an OLDER version of ffmpeg. VLC has some major issues with later versions of ffmpeg that are being handled rather poorly upstream. So unfortunately, if you want to use a stable VLC (0.8.x) you have to use a rather old ffmpeg. Nothing can be done to correct this. If you want a newer ffmpeg, try moving to a masked version of VLC or find a 0.9.x version in an overlay.

Any attempt at making VLC 0.8.x work with newer versions of ffmpeg will result in video playback with audio only (no video).

- Brian