Old 06-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Norman Hakim

Default Problem mounting cdrom,cdrw,usb

Hi all,

i'm having problem to mount cdrom,cdrw,usb.i have group my user account to all these groups and i can see the icons of cdrom,cdrw,usb but once i double clicked to open it nothing happen. I suspect there is mounting problem to these three drives.

Regards,

Norman

Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 AM
"Ricardo Bevilacqua"

2008/6/26 Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@yahoo.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> i'm having problem to mount cdrom,cdrw,usb.i have group my user account to all these groups and i can see the icons of cdrom,cdrw,usb but once i double clicked to open it nothing happen. I suspect there is mounting problem to these three drives.
>
> Regards,
>
> Norman

Norman,

Maybe you have to check your fstab (posting it here might be a good
idea). If that is right, then you should try to mount those drives
manually and see the result.

Regards,

Richard.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Norman Hakim

NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

> > i'm having problem to mount cdrom,cdrw,usb.i have
> group my user account to all these groups and i can see the
> icons of cdrom,cdrw,usb but once i double clicked to open it
> nothing happen. I suspect there is mounting problem to these
> three drives.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Norman
>

> Norman,
>
> Maybe you have to check your fstab (posting it here might
> be a good
> idea). If that is right, then you should try to mount those
> drives
> manually and see the result.
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard.
> --

Richard,

Actually i'm really new to this Gentoo Linux and also Linux world,can u explain to me how to check the fstab? and how to mount those drives manually?

Thanks.

Regards,
Norman

Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
"Eduardo Otubo"

Norman,

First understand one thing: The terminal is always a good friend :-)
Second, let's explain the fstab: Fstab (filesystem table) is a table
with all the specification for you filesystem. Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab. To check the content of fstab just
type this on you terminal:

$ cat /etc/fstab

(and paste here the result of this command)

Third, to mount manually a device, you need to know first which device
is what on your Linux. Usually, cdrom is some /dev/hdc thing. Then, to
mount it:

$ mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

The strange things is: How did you installed gentoo without knowing
this issues? :-)

Hope this 2 cents helps you.

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Norman Hakim
<desprado_mariachi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

Eduardo Otubo
Linux Registered User #424252
http://otubo.net

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|

Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 AM
Norman Hakim

NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

> First understand one thing: The terminal is always a good
> friend :-)
> Second, let's explain the fstab: Fstab (filesystem
> table) is a table
> with all the specification for you filesystem. Check this
> out:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab. To check the content of
> fstab just
> type this on you terminal:
>
> $ cat /etc/fstab
>
> (and paste here the result of this command)
>
> Third, to mount manually a device, you need to know first
> which device
> is what on your Linux. Usually, cdrom is some /dev/hdc
> thing. Then, to
> mount it:
>
> $ mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
>
> The strange things is: How did you installed gentoo without
> knowing
> this issues? :-)
>
> Hope this 2 cents helps you.

Eduardo,

I have checked the content of fstab and this is the result:

/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda2 none swap s w 0 0
/dev/hda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

Honestly, at first when i installed gentoo,i just installed it by using the handbook and i thought it will be no problem. Actually this is my first time using Linux and i never have any experience using it before.

Regards,
Norman

Old 06-29-2008, 04:01 AM
"Ricardo Bevilacqua"

2008/6/28 Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@yahoo.com>:
> Eduardo,
>
> I have checked the content of fstab and this is the result:
>
> /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
> /dev/hda2 none swap s w 0 0
> /dev/hda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
>
> Honestly, at first when i installed gentoo,i just installed it by using the handbook and i thought it will be no problem. Actually this is my first time using Linux and i never have any experience using it before.
>
> Regards,
> Norman

Norman,

I am glad to know that you have chosen Gentoo as your first contact
with GNU/Linux. First of all, congratulations! having a working Gentoo
system without any previous Linux knowledge is a terrific start!

I assumed that you knew what fstab is and how to modify that file
because it is explained in the Gentoo Handbook, which is the reference
to install this distribution.

As explained in the Gentoo Handbook chapter 8 [1], you manually
created a text file under "/etc" called "fstab". This simple text file
contains all the necessary information to, let's say "auto-mount" your
different devices.

This is my fstab, I post it here as an example:

/dev/hdc1 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 1 2
/dev/hdc3 / reiserfs noatime 0 1
/dev/hdc2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0
/dev/floppy/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,rw,user 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/RIC vfat defaults,noatime,user 0 0
/dev/hdb2 /mnt/ZERO vfat defaults,noatime,user 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/USB auto noauto,rw,user

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

Usually, adding this

"/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0"

should be enough to have your cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd working =).

If that does not work, then let us know and see if we can figure out
something else. If it does work, then great! go on enjoying Gentoo
Linux.

You learn a lot using Gentoo. Is the only distribution that gave m the
chance to learn a lot about Linux. It is very stable and flexible, you
always have control over your own system, that is very important.

Regards,

Ricardo.
(Richard)

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=8

Old 06-29-2008, 04:06 AM
"Cristian Gary"

are you in the group plugdev ??*

On 6/29/08, Ricardo Bevilacqua <rus.spes@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).

# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#**use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm******************** /dev/shm****************tmpfs********nodev,nosuid,noexe c************************0 0

Usually, adding this

"/dev/cdrom**** /mnt/cdrom******auto************noauto,ro,user********* *****************0 0"

should be enough to have your cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd working =).

If that does not work, then let us know and see if we can figure out
something else. If it does work, then great! go on**enjoying Gentoo
Linux.

You learn a lot using Gentoo. Is the only distribution that gave m the
chance to learn a lot about Linux. It is very stable and flexible, you
always have control over your own system, that is very important.

Cristian Gonzalo Gary Bufadel

Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Philip Webb

080629 Ricardo Bevilacqua wrote:
> 2008/6/28 Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@yahoo.com>:
>> this is my first time using Linux
>> and i never have any experience using it before.
> First of all, congratulations! having a working Gentoo system
> without any previous Linux knowledge is a terrific start!
-- useful advice snipped --
> Gentoo is the only distribution that gave me the chance
> to learn a lot about Linux. It is very stable and flexible,
> you always have control over your own system, that is very important.

I can only echo the last 3 lines & add my own sense of awe
that anyone new to Linux got Gentoo running at the 1st shot !

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Norman Hakim

> [...]
> > shm
> > /dev/shm tmpfs
> nodev,nosuid,noexec 0
> > 0

> > Usually, adding this
> >
> > "/dev/cdrom
> > /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user
> 0 0"
> >
> > should be enough to have your cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd working
> =).
> >
> > If that does not work, then let us know and see if we
> can figure out
> > something else. If it does work, then great! go on
> enjoying Gentoo
> > Linux.
> >
> > You learn a lot using Gentoo. Is the only distribution
> that gave m the
> > chance to learn a lot about Linux. It is very stable
> and flexible, you
> > always have control over your own system, that is very

Cristian Gary,
i've grouped it into plugdev.

Richard,

After i type this command "/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0" it shows:

bash: /dev/cdrom: Permission denied
i've login using root account. i've right clicked at the cdrom to see the properties and under Permissions tab the Owner column stated unknown and i tried to change the Access column to Read and Write it popup "The permisions could not be changed"

Regards,
Norman

Old 06-30-2008, 01:51 PM
"Eduardo Otubo"

Hi again,

In fact, just like Ricardo said, my congrats to a person who wants to
learn Linux starting by Gentoo :-)
But, back to the problem:

Then, I insist at the point: As root, try to mount it manually and
paste the output here:

# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Certify that /mnt/cdrom exists. :-)

[]'s

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Norman Hakim