Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 AM

Default CD ROM does not play audio CD's

John covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> > This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
> > soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
> > laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
> > subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
> > couple of cents. Some do that. :-(
> >

> I am having the same problem -- but additionally my CDROM has no
> place to even put such a cable -- at least according to the person who
> actually put the machine together.
> I have not opened up the box to check, but if so, what can I do to
> play cds?

It is most inlikely that thius is related to this cable....

I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)

and install cdda2wav suid root.

Then call:

cdda2wav -e -N -B

If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 AM

"W.Kenworthy" <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Some (and only some) multimedia audio broke in the last few of updates
> on two of my systems with cmi chipsets - I had to select IEC958 Monitor
> before I got sound back. Might be the same thing. and no, I am not
> using digital output.
>
> If this doesnt help you, might help someone else as it was a pita to
> find the cause as I am not using the digital outputs from the card.

The OP claimed that he cannot even extract audio from his drive...

This does not make it very probable that the problem is in the audio driver.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
John covici

on Thursday 06/26/2008 Joerg Schilling(Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de) wrote
> John covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>
> > > This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
> > > soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
> > > laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
> > > subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
> > > couple of cents. Some do that. :-(
> > >

> > I am having the same problem -- but additionally my CDROM has no
> > place to even put such a cable -- at least according to the person who
> > actually put the machine together.
> > I have not opened up the box to check, but if so, what can I do to
> > play cds?
>
> It is most inlikely that thius is related to this cable....
>
> I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)
>
> and install cdda2wav suid root.
>
> Then call:
>
> cdda2wav -e -N -B
>
> If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
> Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.
>
> Jörg

OK, we are now getting somewhere, I did hear sound out of that, now
that is interesting, but how does this work -- does it not copy the
file or is it playing from the drive? I have cdcd and it thinks its
playing, bu I hear nothing. Also, I can't get mplayer to do anyting,
it thinks the url is wrong or something, so this is more complicated.

Thanks much.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM

John covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> > I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
> > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)
> >
> > and install cdda2wav suid root.
> >
> > Then call:
> >
> > cdda2wav -e -N -B
> >
> > If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
> > Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.
> >
> > Jörg
>
> OK, we are now getting somewhere, I did hear sound out of that, now
> that is interesting, but how does this work -- does it not copy the
> file or is it playing from the drive? I have cdcd and it thinks its
> playing, bu I hear nothing. Also, I can't get mplayer to do anyting,
> it thinks the url is wrong or something, so this is more complicated.

cdda2wav does things as they should be done ;-)

There are many possible reasons for your problems.
A big problem is that on Linux _some_ SCSI commands may be send to drives
without haveing root privileges and developers created GUI tools that
did things that will not work on other platforms and that will not even
work for all drives on Linux.

If the applications that does not work does not tell you why, you are lost.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 AM
John covici

on Thursday 06/26/2008 Joerg Schilling(Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de) wrote
> John covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>
> > > I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
> > > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)
> > >
> > > and install cdda2wav suid root.
> > >
> > > Then call:
> > >
> > > cdda2wav -e -N -B
> > >
> > > If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
> > > Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.
> > >
> > > Jörg
> >
> > OK, we are now getting somewhere, I did hear sound out of that, now
> > that is interesting, but how does this work -- does it not copy the
> > file or is it playing from the drive? I have cdcd and it thinks its
> > playing, bu I hear nothing. Also, I can't get mplayer to do anyting,
> > it thinks the url is wrong or something, so this is more complicated.
>
> cdda2wav does things as they should be done ;-)
>
> There are many possible reasons for your problems.
> A big problem is that on Linux _some_ SCSI commands may be send to drives
> without haveing root privileges and developers created GUI tools that
> did things that will not work on other platforms and that will not even
> work for all drives on Linux.
>
> If the applications that does not work does not tell you why, you are lost.

Well, cdcd is what I would like to use, it thinks it is playing, and
did work when I had a driv with that cable, but I hear no sound now.
I think it is reading the data off of the cd and I guess its not doing
the correct thing with it.

Can you recomend a console player with some features like rewind, fast
forward, pause and title lookup, etc -- I don't mind changing if I
need to change.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Mark Kirkwood

John covici wrote:

Can you recomend a console player with some features like rewind, fast
forward, pause and title lookup, etc -- I don't mind changing if I
need to change.

Not a console player, but totem plays cds and movies with minimum of
fuss, and if you have the complete Gnome install then it is "just there".

Cheers

Mark

Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM

John covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> Well, cdcd is what I would like to use, it thinks it is playing, and
> did work when I had a driv with that cable, but I hear no sound now.
> I think it is reading the data off of the cd and I guess its not doing
> the correct thing with it.
>
> Can you recomend a console player with some features like rewind, fast
> forward, pause and title lookup, etc -- I don't mind changing if I
> need to change.

Sun lawyewrs found a legal problem with libcdio. I am just working on a legal
replacement for "libcdio" together with some GOME developers from Sun. This
will be based on a wrapper around cdda2wav.

If your problem is reading from CD, this will fix the problems but it will
take ~ 1-2 weeks to finish.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Mark Kirkwood

I wrote:
Not a console player, but totem plays cds and movies with minimum of
fuss, and if you have the complete Gnome install then it is "just there".

Actually, I am completely mistaken...it's sound-juicer that is playing
the cd I'm listening to right now (I usually listen to streaming mp3s
that *are* played by totem)... sorry for the confusion!

best wishes

Mark

Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 AM

Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Not a console player, but totem plays cds and movies with minimum of
> > fuss, and if you have the complete Gnome install then it is "just there".
> >

> Actually, I am completely mistaken...it's sound-juicer that is playing
> the cd I'm listening to right now (I usually listen to streaming mp3s
> that *are* played by totem)... sorry for the confusion!

sound-juicer has several problems:

- it depends on gstreamer/libcdio which is not a logal code combination.

- It uses libmusicbrainz to extract the TOC and gets wrong TOC
information for CD-extra, then tries to "play" data tracks.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
John covici

on Thursday 06/26/2008 Joerg Schilling(Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de) wrote
> Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > I wrote:
> > > Not a console player, but totem plays cds and movies with minimum of
> > > fuss, and if you have the complete Gnome install then it is "just there".
> > >

> > Actually, I am completely mistaken...it's sound-juicer that is playing
> > the cd I'm listening to right now (I usually listen to streaming mp3s
> > that *are* played by totem)... sorry for the confusion!
>
> sound-juicer has several problems:
>
> - it depends on gstreamer/libcdio which is not a logal code combination.
>
> - It uses libmusicbrainz to extract the TOC and gets wrong TOC
> information for CD-extra, then tries to "play" data tracks.

And it wants a non-existent library libesdat.so.0 -- I await the
player you are working on, but a text console version would be very
convenient.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici