FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default emerge @preserved-rebuild

Lately emerge-2.2 has been issuing output like this:

!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: dev-libs/eet-9999
* - /usr/lib/libeet.so.0
* - /usr/lib/libeet.so.0.9.99900
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

There's no reference to this "@preserved-rebuild" argument in the emerge
man page. Same with a new FEATURES=preserve-libs, which is mentioned in
NEWS.

Is this documented anywhere?


--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Zhang Le
 
Default emerge @preserved-rebuild

On 11:12 Thu 26 Jun , Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Lately emerge-2.2 has been issuing output like this:
>
> !!! existing preserved libs:
> >>> package: dev-libs/eet-9999
> * - /usr/lib/libeet.so.0
> * - /usr/lib/libeet.so.0.9.99900
> Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries
>
> There's no reference to this "@preserved-rebuild" argument in the emerge
> man page. Same with a new FEATURES=preserve-libs, which is mentioned in
> NEWS.
>
> Is this documented anywhere?

In NEWS and RELEASE-NOTES of portage-2.2

Zhang Le
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default emerge @preserved-rebuild

On Thursday 26 June 2008, Zhang Le wrote:
> On 11:12 Thu 26 Jun , Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Lately emerge-2.2 has been issuing output like this:
> >
> > !!! existing preserved libs:
> > >>> package: dev-libs/eet-9999
> >
> > * - /usr/lib/libeet.so.0
> > * - /usr/lib/libeet.so.0.9.99900
> > Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these
> > libraries
> >
> > There's no reference to this "@preserved-rebuild" argument in the
> > emerge man page. Same with a new FEATURES=preserve-libs, which is
> > mentioned in NEWS.
> >
> > Is this documented anywhere?
>
> In NEWS and RELEASE-NOTES of portage-2.2

OK, so it's a new set feature. Could be useful.

That info is still a bit skimpy though. Is there anything more
somewhere? And what about FEATURES=preserve-libs, is that documented
somewhere?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Zhang Le
 
Default emerge @preserved-rebuild

On 13:18 Thu 26 Jun , Alan McKinnon wrote:
> That info is still a bit skimpy though. Is there anything more
> somewhere? And what about FEATURES=preserve-libs, is that documented
> somewhere?

All you need to do is to run 'emerge @preserved-rebuild' when you are reminded
to.
If you want to know the background, take a look:
http://r0bertz.blogspot.com/2008/06/portage-22-preserve-libs-features.html

Zhang Le
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default emerge @preserved-rebuild

On Friday 27 June 2008, Zhang Le wrote:
> On 13:18 Thu 26 Jun , Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > That info is still a bit skimpy though. Is there anything more
> > somewhere? And what about FEATURES=preserve-libs, is that
> > documented somewhere?
>
> All you need to do is to run 'emerge @preserved-rebuild' when you are
> reminded to.
> If you want to know the background, take a look:
> http://r0bertz.blogspot.com/2008/06/portage-22-preserve-libs-features
>.html

Thanks, that blog is very useful indeed.

I don't agree with the first comment though - it's not just for new
users who don't understand revdep-rebuild. There is no realistic way of
knowing which libs will be updated during an emerge and thereby causing
breakage. This new syntax ensures stuff will still work and delete old
libs only after affected apps have been rebuilt. Very useful, very
appreciated.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 07-03-2008, 04:55 AM
"Vladimir G. Ivanovic"
 
Default emerge @preserved-rebuild

on 06/27/2008 12:36 PM Zhang Le said the following:

On 13:18 Thu 26 Jun , Alan McKinnon wrote:
That info is still a bit skimpy though. Is there anything more
somewhere? And what about FEATURES=preserve-libs, is that documented
somewhere?


All you need to do is to run 'emerge @preserved-rebuild' when you are reminded
to.
If you want to know the background, take a look:
http://r0bertz.blogspot.com/2008/06/portage-22-preserve-libs-features.html


Thanks for the pointer.

I do have one additional question: What happens when a build in
'emerge @preserve-rebuild' fails?


I'm assuming that 'emerge @preserve-rebuild' does something extra
beyond a regular emerge, so I can't just 'emerge --skipfirst
--resume'. If it only removes the listed, preserved libraries in
addition to the emerge, then I can fix things up by hand by deleting
the named libraries.


--- Vladimir

--
Vladimir G. Ivanovic
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org