Old 06-26-2008, 02:30 AM
Chris Walters

Default loop-aes

Daniel Iliev wrote:
| On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:40:08 -0400
| Chris Walters <cjw2004d@comcast.net> wrote:
|

|> My original question was: Does anyone know how to compile the
|> "extra-ciphers" package that you can find on the loop-aes SourceForge
|> site.
|
| The following works here:
|
| 1) ebuild `equery w loop-aes` unpack
|
| 2) cd $PORTDIR/sys-fs/loop-aes-<version>/work/loop-AES-<version>/
|
| 3) make EXTRA_CIPHERS=y
|
| 4) cd ../../
|
| 5) touch .compiled
|
| 6) cd
|
| 7) ebuild `equery w loop-aes` merge
|

| (I actually stopped only up to step 3, but it finished w/o error)
|

| Since you said something about lack of documentation about loop-aes,
| have you already found this?
|
| http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES.README
|

| NOTE: "In order to support AES and other ciphers, mount, umount,
| losetup, swapon and swapoff need to be patched and
| recompiled."
|
| There's a hope - Gentoo may provide a patched version of util-linux.
| In case those tools are not already patched I wouldn't go that far on
| a system which is not especially dedicated for this encryption test of
| yours.

Thanks for this. I will give it a try, when I get a chance. It is not really
an encryption test, as you put it, so much as it is frustration at not being
able to get the extra ciphers to compile.

Oh, and Gentoo already patches util-linux with the patch from loop-aes. One
big problem that people are experiencing right now it that since the testing
version of util-linux got bumped up, the old patch will not work anymore - this
has to be fixed upstream, but I doubt they will do so until the new version of
util-linux is proven stable. For some reason, the 2.6.24 kernel patch works
with the 2.6.25 version of the kernel, probably because the files it changes
have not yet changed.

Regards,
Chris

Old 06-26-2008, 03:23 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:30:25 -0400
Chris Walters <cjw2004d@comcast.net> wrote:

> | The following works here:
> |
> | 1) ebuild `equery w loop-aes` unpack
> |
> | 2) cd $PORTDIR/sys-fs/loop-aes-<version>/work/loop-AES-<version>/
> |
> | 3) make EXTRA_CIPHERS=y
> |
> | 4) cd ../../
> |
> | 5) touch .compiled
> |
> | 6) cd
> |
> | 7) ebuild `equery w loop-aes` merge
> |

> | (I actually stopped only up to step 3, but it finished w/o error)
> |

> | Since you said something about lack of documentation about loop-aes,
> | have you already found this?
> |
> | http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES.README
> |

> | NOTE: "In order to support AES and other ciphers, mount, umount,
> | losetup, swapon and swapoff need to be patched and
> | recompiled."
> |
> | There's a hope - Gentoo may provide a patched version of util-linux.
> | In case those tools are not already patched I wouldn't go that far
> | on a system which is not especially dedicated for this encryption
> | test of yours.
>
> Thanks for this. I will give it a try, when I get a chance.

Sorry, from your reply I saw there's an error in my message:

Step 2 should read: "$PORTAGE_TMPDIR/portage" instead of "$PORTDIR"

Anyways you'll see the correct directory for your system from the output
of "ebuild unpack". My apologies and good luck.

--
Best regards,
Daniel