-   -   CD ROM does not play audio CD's (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/113662-cd-rom-does-not-play-audio-cds.html)

John covici 06-25-2008 09:50 PM

CD ROM does not play audio CD's

on Wednesday 06/25/2008 Uwe Thiem(uwix@iway.na) wrote
> On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Yoav Luft wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I posted a similar e-mail a couple of weeks ago and got no
> > response. I wish not to spam the mailing list, only for maybe a
> > better luck this time. My CD ROM drive had stopped playing audio
> > CD's. It still works fine, data CD's work alright and various
> > programs manage to gather useful information about the audio CD's
> > tracks, but I hear nothing. I checked all controls in alsamixer to
> > be unmuted and at reasonable volume, but it's not it. I can't rip
> > the CD's neither. Any ideas what might be wrong?
>
> This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
> soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
> laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
> subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
> couple of cents. Some do that. :-(

I am having the same problem -- but additionally my CDROM has no
place to even put such a cable -- at least according to the person who
actually put the machine together.
I have not opened up the box to check, but if so, what can I do to
play cds?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

"W.Kenworthy" 06-26-2008 01:38 AM

CD ROM does not play audio CD's

Some (and only some) multimedia audio broke in the last few of updates
on two of my systems with cmi chipsets - I had to select IEC958 Monitor
before I got sound back. Might be the same thing. and no, I am not
using digital output.

If this doesnt help you, might help someone else as it was a pita to
find the cause as I am not using the digital outputs from the card.

BillK

"Mark Shields" 06-26-2008 03:26 AM

CD ROM does not play audio CD's