Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 PM
"Yoav Luft"

Default CD ROM does not play audio CD's

Hi,
I posted a similar e-mail a couple of weeks ago and got no response. I wish not to spam the mailing list, only for maybe a better luck this time.
My CD ROM drive had stopped playing audio CD's. It still works fine, data CD's work alright and various programs manage to gather useful information about the audio CD's tracks, but I hear nothing. I checked all controls in alsamixer to be unmuted and at reasonable volume, but it's not it. I can't rip the CD's neither. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Yoav Luft wrote:
> Hi,
> I posted a similar e-mail a couple of weeks ago and got no
> response. I wish not to spam the mailing list, only for maybe a
> better luck this time. My CD ROM drive had stopped playing audio
> CD's. It still works fine, data CD's work alright and various
> programs manage to gather useful information about the audio CD's
> tracks, but I hear nothing. I checked all controls in alsamixer to
> be unmuted and at reasonable volume, but it's not it. I can't rip
> the CD's neither. Any ideas what might be wrong?

This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
couple of cents. Some do that. :-(

Uwe

--
Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!