Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Bob

Default xrandr: Intel G965 and HDTV woes

I've bought a shiny new htpc that I was hoping would just work with
Linux.

Sadly it doesn't.

Before I post a long and rambling diatribe, does anyone know how to
run xrandr remotely (since I just get a blank screen on the hdtv)?

I tried over tunnelled ssh and just got the local (my laptop's) X server's settings,
and then tried using the -display flag like so:

# /etc/init.d/xdm start
* Setting up gdm ...
* Detaching to start `/usr/bin/gdm' ...
# xrandr -display :0

Xlib: No protocol specified

Can't open display :0

I'm guessing this requires me to somehow open access to the X server.

I set 'DisallowTCP=false' in /etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf in the [security] section and restarted gdm but that didn't seem to do anything.

What else can I try to get xrandr to let me change the resolution for a xserver that can't be seen?

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 AM

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:47:12 +0100
Bob <ftoomch@gmail.com> wrote:

> # xrandr -display :0
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Can't open display :0
>

> I'm guessing this requires me to somehow open access to the X server.
>
> I set 'DisallowTCP=false' in /etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf in the
> [security] section and restarted gdm but that didn't seem to do
> anything.
>
> What else can I try to get xrandr to let me change the resolution for
> a xserver that can't be seen?

Have a look at xhost.
You can manage the access to your xserver on a per-host basis. "xhost
+" will just allow any host to connect (which is of course insecure,
depending on your environment!).

Regards,
Patric