FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Daniel Iliev
 
Default single package backup

Hi,

Let's say there's a new version of a given package. I'd like to make a
backup, update, test and if I liked the old version better restore.


What is (is there?) the "Gentoo way" to do that?


--
Best regards,
Daniel
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default single package backup

Daniel Iliev asks:

> Let's say there's a new version of a given package. I'd like to make a
> backup, update, test and if I liked the old version better restore.
>
> What is (is there?) the "Gentoo way" to do that?

Let's assume you upgrade from package/foo-1.0 to package/foo-1.1. You can
then use quickpkg to create a backup of foo-1.0, upgrade with emerge -ua
foo, and test it. If you are not satisfied, mask the updated version
in /etc/portage/package.mask, and emerge -uak foo again in order to
downgrade. -k tells emerge to use the binary package built with quickpkg
instead of re-compiling.

quickpkg foo (or quickpkg package/foo-1.0)
emerge -ua foo
echo ">=package/foo-1.1" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
emerge -uak foo

I'm not really sure what happens with config files, though.

Wonko
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Daniel Iliev
 
Default single package backup

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:54:09 +0200
Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> Daniel Iliev asks:
>
> > Let's say there's a new version of a given package. I'd like to
> > make a backup, update, test and if I liked the old version better
> > restore.
> >
> > What is (is there?) the "Gentoo way" to do that?
>
> Let's assume you upgrade from package/foo-1.0 to package/foo-1.1. You
> can then use quickpkg to create a backup of foo-1.0, upgrade with
> emerge -ua foo, and test it. If you are not satisfied, mask the
> updated version in /etc/portage/package.mask, and emerge -uak foo
> again in order to downgrade. -k tells emerge to use the binary
> package built with quickpkg instead of re-compiling.
>
> quickpkg foo (or quickpkg package/foo-1.0)
> emerge -ua foo
> echo ">=package/foo-1.1" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
> emerge -uak foo
>
> I'm not really sure what happens with config files, though.
>
> Wonko


Thank you!

quickpkg is exactly what I was looking for.

--
Best regards,
Daniel
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-24-2008, 01:56 PM
"陈帮玉"
 
Default single package backup

Thanks Alex, this is also useful to me. I'm fresh here.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

Daniel Iliev asks:



> Let's say there's a new version of a given package. I'd like to make a

> backup, update, test and if I liked the old version better restore.

>

> What is (is there?) the "Gentoo way" to do that?



Let's assume you upgrade from package/foo-1.0 to package/foo-1.1. You can

then use quickpkg to create a backup of foo-1.0, upgrade with emerge -ua

foo, and test it. If you are not satisfied, mask the updated version

in /etc/portage/package.mask, and emerge -uak foo again in order to

downgrade. -k tells emerge to use the binary package built with quickpkg

instead of re-compiling.



quickpkg foo (or quickpkg package/foo-1.0)

emerge -ua foo

echo ">=package/foo-1.1" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

emerge -uak foo



I'm not really sure what happens with config files, though.



* * * *Wonko

--

gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default single package backup

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:32:57 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:

> quickpkg is exactly what I was looking for.

You can also add buildpkg to FEATURES, then portage will create a binary
package for every package you install. It can use a fair amount of disk
space, but it means you can always roll back from a broken version, even
if you managed to break portage.


--
Neil Bothwick

Custer was fitted for an Arrow shirt.
 
Old 06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default single package backup

Neil Bothwick writes:

> You can also add buildpkg to FEATURES, then portage will create a binary
> package for every package you install. It can use a fair amount of disk
> space, but it means you can always roll back from a broken version, even
> if you managed to break portage.

And there's also buildsyspkg which does the same, but for system packages
only.

Wonko
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Daniel Iliev
 
Default single package backup

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:23:45 +0100
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:32:57 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
>
> > quickpkg is exactly what I was looking for.
>
> You can also add buildpkg to FEATURES, then portage will create a
> binary package for every package you install. It can use a fair
> amount of disk space, but it means you can always roll back from a
> broken version, even if you managed to break portage.
>
>

Yep, that feature is great and I use it to distribute binary packages
over several x86 systems but in this case I wanted to try something on
my only amd64 installation where buildpkg is not enabled.

So, the quickpkg solution was perfect for this "post factum" situation.

--
Best regards,
Daniel
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org