Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Roy Wright

Default Weird lockup problem

Howdy,

I've been having a weird problem for the past month where about twice a
week when I first unlock the system in the morning, the mouse moves
really slow (about 1 second update rate) and if I press any key except
ctl-alt-delete (which reboots the box but does not display the shutdown
messages to the console), the mouse pointer goes away and the system is
totally unresponsive. Also can't connect (ssh, ping, nfs) to the box
when this happens. So far I haven't found any log messages even hinting
at the problem.

This system is a ~x86 and after 3 years of running a gentoo workstation,
I'm at a loss on how to trouble shoot it.

Thank you,
Roy

Old 06-23-2008, 10:19 PM

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 04:52:18PM -0500, Roy Wright wrote:

> This system is a ~x86 and after 3 years of running a gentoo workstation,
> I'm at a loss on how to trouble shoot it.

I have sometimes left a job running like this

while :; do
top | head >>/tmp/busylog
sleep 30
done

It's awful but it sometimes provides clues. The important trick is to
append to the log inside the loop rather than after the done, to force
the buffer flush each time.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933