Old 06-23-2008, 02:33 PM
"James"

Default Atheros 5xxx driver in kernel 2.6.24-gentoo-r5

On Mon, June 23, 2008 10:22 am, Kan-I Jyo wrote:
> Though I do not own a model as you have metion, but I believe that the
> ath5k driver module will not be found in kernels less than 2.6.25.
>
> In other word, you may have to wait for 2.6.25 or later gentoo-source
> to be marked as stable or do
>
> # echo "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>

> to use a not-yet-stable version of kernel.
>

> 2008/6/23 Zhou Rui <ghoulr@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm using gentoo in my UMPC fujitsu U1010 which has a Atheros superG
>> wireless card. I found the wiki says there is a kernel option can compile
>> Atheros 5xxx WLAN driver into the kernel, but I cannot find it in my
>> kernel 2.6.24-gentoo-r5 (emeged as gentoo-sources). So where can I get a
>> kernel with the Atheros driver?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Zhou Rui
>>

> --
> Sincerely,
>

> Jyo

I usually compile a recent kernel from kernel.org.
It is not hard.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:22:45 +0900, Kan-I Jyo wrote:

> In other word, you may have to wait for 2.6.25 or later gentoo-source
> to be marked as stable or do
>
> # echo "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>
> to use a not-yet-stable version of kernel.

That will mean he always uses testing kernel ebuilds, even when 2.6.25
becomes stable. Better to add "~sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.25" to
package.keywords.

--
Neil Bothwick

Hors d'oeuvres: 3 sandwiches cut into 40 pieces.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:15 AM
"Kan-I Jyo"

2008/6/24 Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:22:45 +0900, Kan-I Jyo wrote:
>
>> In other word, you may have to wait for 2.6.25 or later gentoo-source
>> to be marked as stable or do
>>
>> # echo "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>>
>> to use a not-yet-stable version of kernel.
>
> That will mean he always uses testing kernel ebuilds, even when 2.6.25
> becomes stable. Better to add "~sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.25" to
> package.keywords.

Yes, surely your solution is a better way to do this job.
Thank you for your reminder.

--
Sincerely,

Jyo

Old 06-24-2008, 08:17 AM
"Zhou Rui"

Thanks for your help, but I'm still puzzled with the madwifi driver and the
build-in ath5k driver. Does it mean
if I choose to install a madwifi driver I can still use my 2.6.24 kernel?
But the problem is I cannot find the "non-hamradio
WLAN" option in current kernel either...

Old 06-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Montag, 23. Juni 2008 schrieb ext Zhou Rui:

> I'm using gentoo in my UMPC fujitsu U1010 which has a Atheros superG
> wireless card. I found the wiki says there is a kernel option can
> compile Atheros 5xxx WLAN driver into the kernel, but I cannot find it in
> my kernel 2.6.24-gentoo-r5 (emeged as gentoo-sources). So where can I get
> a kernel with the Atheros driver?

ath5k has been included into 2.6.25. However, it doesn't support all chips
yet, so it may or may not work with your's. The other option is to "emerge
madwifi-ng".

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
Wanheimerstrae 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com

Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 AM
"Kan-I Jyo"

2008/6/24 Zhou Rui <ghoulr@gmail.com>:
> Thanks for your help, but I'm still puzzled with the madwifi driver and the
> build-in ath5k driver. Does it mean
> if I choose to install a madwifi driver I can still use my 2.6.24 kernel?

Though ath5k driver will eventually replace the madwifi driver
according to the development team, surely you can use your current
2.6.24 kernel with madwifi-ng package in portage.

However, as Dirk has mentioned, the driver may or may not work with
your card. So you may have to give it a try.

> But the problem is I cannot find the "non-hamradio
> WLAN" option in current kernel either...

If the "How to install madwifi" gentoo wiki page is what you are
reffering to, it may be a little bit out of date. You can take a look
on madwifi.org's web page for an up-to-date requirements.

http://madwifi.org/wiki/Requirements

--
Sincerely,

Jyo

Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 AM
"Zhou Rui"

Finally, I emerged madwifi-ng and the WLAN card works. Add if I do the cmd
manually:
# /etc/init.d/net.ath0 start
the interface can get IP address from dhcp normally. But when I add the net.
ath0 to the
runlevel default and reboot, it cannot obtain the IP information with
dhcpcd... That means
I have to run the network restart script every time the system boots... Can
you give me some
advices about this?

# cat /etc/conf.d/net

# This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any net.*
# scripts in /etc/init.d. To create a more complete configuration,
# please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your configuration
# in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).

# config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
# dhcp_eth0="nonis nontp"

modules=( "iwconfig" )
key_xxxxxx="[1] cccc-cccc-cccc-cccc-cccc-cccc-cc key [1] enc restricted"
preferred_aps=( "xxxxxx" )

config_ath0=( "dhcp" )
dhcp_ath0="nonis nontp"

Thank you very much.
Zhou

Old 06-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 26. Juni 2008 schrieb Zhou Rui:
> Finally, I emerged madwifi-ng and the WLAN card works. Add if I do the cmd
> manually:
> # /etc/init.d/net.ath0 start
> the interface can get IP address from dhcp normally. But when I add the
> net. ath0 to the
> runlevel default and reboot, it cannot obtain the IP information with
> dhcpcd... That means
> I have to run the network restart script every time the system boots... Can
> you give me some
> advices about this?

Did you autoload the module at boot (see /etc/conf.d/modules:
modules="ath_pci")?

> # cat /etc/conf.d/net
>
> # This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any net.*
> # scripts in /etc/init.d. To create a more complete configuration,
> # please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your configuration
> # in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).
>
> # config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
> # dhcp_eth0="nonis nontp"
>
> modules=( "iwconfig" )
> key_xxxxxx="[1] cccc-cccc-cccc-cccc-cccc-cccc-cc key [1] enc restricted"
> preferred_aps=( "xxxxxx" )

Hmm, isn't that WEP only (not sure)?

> config_ath0=( "dhcp" )
> dhcp_ath0="nonis nontp"

Here's mine:

modules=( "wpa_supplicant" "dhcpcd" )
wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"
wpa_timeout_ath0=60
essid_ath0="<my_network_name>"
config_<my_network_name>=( "dhcp" )
key_<my_network_name>="s:<my_wpa_key>"

And finally, my wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
# ap_scan=2 was the one for me you may try 0 or 1 indstead of 2
ap_scan=0
fast_reauth=1

network={
ssid="<my_network_name>"
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP
psk="<my_wpa_key>"
}

Of course, you need to emerge wpa_supplicant.

HTH...

Dirk

Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 AM
"Zhou Rui"

>Did you autoload the module at boot (see /etc/conf.d/modules:
>modules="ath_pci")?
I don't write the profile, because the module can be loaded automatically
at boot.
I used TKIP in my D-Link Router, so I emerged wpa_supplicant yesterday,
it works fine. But at Linksys WRT54G which use shared WEP, still cannot
obtain the IP at boot, then I switch the encryption of WRT54G to TKIP, it
got
the address... Now I think there may be some issue at the WEP connection
initial stage, so at last, this card works fine for me. Thank you very much.