Old 06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Default usernames starting w/ digit

Hi folks,

while migrating stuff to an fresh Gentoo box, I've recognized
that useradd doesn't accept usernames starting with a digit
(while manually changing in passwd still seems to work fine).

Why does Gentoo's useradd doesnt accept usernames starting
digits, while other distros do ?

cu

Old 06-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Joe User

Enrico Weigelt schrieb:
> Hi folks,
>

> while migrating stuff to an fresh Gentoo box, I've recognized
> that useradd doesn't accept usernames starting with a digit
> (while manually changing in passwd still seems to work fine).
>
> Why does Gentoo's useradd doesnt accept usernames starting
> digits, while other distros do ?
>

> cu

Hi,

look at shadow-$version/libmisc/chkname.c and the gentoo patches.

Regards,
Joe User