Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 AM
"Chuanwen Wu"

Default CD/DVD burning tools?

Hi,
I want to burn CD/DVD under Gentoo, I have installed Xfce.
So, can anybody recommend some CD/DVD burning tools, which is better if does not depend Gnome or KDE?

Thanks in advanced!
--

wcw

Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Montag, 23. Juni 2008 schrieb ext Chuanwen Wu:

> I want to burn CD/DVD under Gentoo, I have installed Xfce.
> So, can anybody recommend some CD/DVD burning tools, which is better if
> does not depend Gnome or KDE?

dvd+rw-tools

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 23 June 2008, Chuanwen Wu wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to burn CD/DVD under Gentoo, I have installed Xfce.
> So, can anybody recommend some CD/DVD burning tools, which is better
> if does not depend Gnome or KDE?

Have a look in $PORTDIR/app-cdr and $PORTDIR/xfce-extra

Lots of stuff there to play with from cdrdao to xfburn

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Philip Webb

080623 Chuanwen Wu wrote:
> I want to burn CD/DVD under Gentoo, I have installed Xfce.
> can anybody recommend some CD/DVD burning tools,
> which is better if does not depend Gnome or KDE?

I still use the trusty old 'xcdroast' for CDs.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 06-23-2008, 09:04 AM

Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com> wrote:

> Am Montag, 23. Juni 2008 schrieb ext Chuanwen Wu:
>
> > I want to burn CD/DVD under Gentoo, I have installed Xfce.
> > So, can anybody recommend some CD/DVD burning tools, which is better if
> > does not depend Gnome or KDE?
>
> dvd+rw-tools

...Does not support CDs.

For burning data CDs and DVDs, you in addition need mkisofs anyway.
Mkisofs is part of the cdrtools package which also includes cdrecord.
Cdrecord supports CDs, DVDs and BluRay media.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 23 June 2008, Chuanwen Wu wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to burn CD/DVD under Gentoo, I have installed Xfce.
> > So, can anybody recommend some CD/DVD burning tools, which is better
> > if does not depend Gnome or KDE?
>
> Have a look in $PORTDIR/app-cdr and $PORTDIR/xfce-extra
>
> Lots of stuff there to play with from cdrdao to xfburn

cdrdao has not been enhanced since many years now.
BTW: Could you tell me a feature from cdrdao which you really use and that
is not supported by cdrecorde?

xfburn is based on non-portable (linux only) code. If you ever like
to use a different OS, you should know that you will not find this software.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 06-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Montag, 23. Juni 2008 schrieb ext Joerg Schilling:
> Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com> wrote:
> > dvd+rw-tools
>
> ...Does not support CDs.

But has:

RDEPEND="virtual/cdrtools"

which will provide the missing parts.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Sebastian Günther

* Joerg Schilling (Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de) [23.06.08 11:09]:

> xfburn is based on non-portable (linux only) code. If you ever like
> to use a different OS, you should know that you will not find this software.

Well, if he is asking such a question, I doubt he will switch OS any
soon.

But, I think, Your crusade continues...

> Jörg

so long
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 06-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Monday 23 June 2008, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 23 June 2008, Chuanwen Wu wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I want to burn CD/DVD under Gentoo, I have installed Xfce.
> > > So, can anybody recommend some CD/DVD burning tools, which is better
> > > if does not depend Gnome or KDE?
> >
> > Have a look in $PORTDIR/app-cdr and $PORTDIR/xfce-extra
> >
> > Lots of stuff there to play with from cdrdao to xfburn
>
> cdrdao has not been enhanced since many years now.
> BTW: Could you tell me a feature from cdrdao which you really use and that
> is not supported by cdrecorde?

he just gave a range and cdrdao comes in the alphabetical order before
cdrecord.

> xfburn is based on non-portable (linux only) code. If you ever like
> to use a different OS, you should know that you will not find this
> software.

yeah, but this is a gentoo list and the user is using xfce.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 AM

Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

> > cdrdao has not been enhanced since many years now.
> > BTW: Could you tell me a feature from cdrdao which you really use and that
> > is not supported by cdrecorde?
>
> he just gave a range and cdrdao comes in the alphabetical order before
> cdrecord.

Mmmm, should this be an answer to my question?

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)