Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Grant Edwards

Default xfce-base/xfce ebuild is broken?

I just tied to do an "emerge -auvND world", and it's failing:

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.2".
(dependency required by "xfce-base/xfce4-4.4.2" [installed])

Sure enough there is no longer an xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme
ebuild. There used to be one (it's instaled on several of my
machines), but it's dissappeared.

Why has it been removed?

How is one supposed to install xfce without it?

--
Grant

Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Grant Edwards schrieb:

I just tied to do an "emerge -auvND world", and it's failing:

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.2".
(dependency required by "xfce-base/xfce4-4.4.2" [installed])

Sure enough there is no longer an xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme
ebuild. There used to be one (it's instaled on several of my
machines), but it's dissappeared.

Why has it been removed?

How is one supposed to install xfce without it?

Relax, there are currently a few pkg moves in xfce.

xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme
xfce-extra/terminal
xfce-extra/ristretto

This three are moved to other categories, sync again in a few hours and
if it does not work file a bug!

Regards,

Daniel

Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Daniel Pielmeier schrieb:

Grant Edwards schrieb:

I just tied to do an "emerge -auvND world", and it's failing:

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy
">=xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.2".

(dependency required by "xfce-base/xfce4-4.4.2" [installed])

Sure enough there is no longer an xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme
ebuild. There used to be one (it's instaled on several of my
machines), but it's dissappeared.
Why has it been removed?

How is one supposed to install xfce without it?

Relax, there are currently a few pkg moves in xfce.

xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme
xfce-extra/terminal
xfce-extra/ristretto

This three are moved to other categories, sync again in a few hours and
if it does not work file a bug!

Regards,

Daniel

plus xfce-extra/xfburn. This is WIP so maybe others are moved too. Wait
until the changes are done!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-06-22, Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> I just tied to do an "emerge -auvND world", and it's failing:
>>>
>>> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy
>>> ">=xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.2".
>>> (dependency required by "xfce-base/xfce4-4.4.2" [installed])
>>>
>>> Sure enough there is no longer an xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme
>>> ebuild. There used to be one (it's instaled on several of my
>>> machines), but it's dissappeared.
>>> Why has it been removed?
>>> How is one supposed to install xfce without it?
>>
>> Relax, there are currently a few pkg moves in xfce.
>>
>> xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme
>> xfce-extra/terminal
>> xfce-extra/ristretto
>>
>> This three are moved to other categories, sync again in a few hours and
>> if it does not work file a bug!
>
> plus xfce-extra/xfburn. This is WIP so maybe others are moved
> too. Wait until the changes are done!

OK, I'll try again tomorrow.

This does prompt a couple questions:

1. How does one know when not to do a sync/update so that one
can avoid these problems? Is there a database broken
ornot-broken status?

2. Is there no way to "commit" a set of database changes so
that the database doesn't have to be left in a broken state
during moves? (Maybe I'm just spoiled using Subversion...)

Old 06-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Grant Edwards schrieb:

Relax, there are currently a few pkg moves in xfce.

xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme
xfce-extra/terminal
xfce-extra/ristretto

This three are moved to other categories, sync again in a few hours and
if it does not work file a bug!

plus xfce-extra/xfburn. This is WIP so maybe others are moved
too. Wait until the changes are done!

OK, I'll try again tomorrow.

This does prompt a couple questions:

1. How does one know when not to do a sync/update so that one
can avoid these problems? Is there a database broken
ornot-broken status?

2. Is there no way to "commit" a set of database changes so
that the database doesn't have to be left in a broken state
during moves? (Maybe I'm just spoiled using Subversion...)

1. You can not know before but you can monitor the irc channel
#gentoo-commits on freenode or the gentoo-commits mailing list. So you
know which changes are done to the portage tree. Be careful this will
cause heavy traffic to your inbox.

2. I don't know if this is doable in one go. The gentoo package
maintainer adds the ebuild to its new place and removes it from its old.
When this is done he changes the other ebuilds pointing to the old
locations. He also makes an entry in $PORTDIR/profiles/updates so the
/var/db/pkg is updated accordingly for already installed packages.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

As alternative you can also monitor: http://cia.vc/stats/project/gentoo

Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-06-22, Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> 1. How does one know when not to do a sync/update so that one
>> can avoid these problems? Is there a database broken or
>> not-broken status?
>
> 1. You can not know before but you can monitor the irc channel
> #gentoo-commits on freenode or the gentoo-commits mailing
> list. So you know which changes are done to the portage
> tree. Be careful this will cause heavy traffic to your
> inbox.

>> 2. Is there no way to "commit" a set of database changes so
>> that the database doesn't have to be left in a broken
>> state during moves? (Maybe I'm just spoiled using
>> Subversion...)
>
> 2. I don't know if this is doable in one go.

It's a rather fundamental feature of databases and revision
control systems, so I guess I'd be a bit surprised that it
can't be done that way.

> The gentoo package maintainer adds the ebuild to its new
> place and removes it from its old. When this is done he
> changes the other ebuilds pointing to the old locations. He
> also makes an entry in $PORTDIR/profiles/updates so the
> /var/db/pkg is updated accordingly for already installed
> packages.

Wouldn't doing it the order below prevent problems?

1) Add ebuild in new location.
2) Change existing ebuilds to point to new location.
3) Delete ebuild from old location.

If even that can't be done, why not have a "working" copy of
the database where such changes are made and then push
non-broken snapshots of database out to the public servers?

--
Grant

Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

[...]

Right there are probably better ways to achieve this. You can always
file a bug if you think there is a way to improve this!

Regards,

Daniel