Old 06-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Norman Hakim

Default Enabling Hald services

Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@gmail.com> wrote: 2008/6/21 Norman Hakim :

> Can anyone assists how to enable this services and how to load the kernel
> 2.6 so that i can connect my external harddisk.

I don't understand what you ask? You can start hal with
"/etc/init.d/hald start" and with "rc-update add hald default" you can
make it start when the PC boots. The kernel will be load when you
start your system.

Ward

Thank you. After i run this script "/etc/init.d/hald start" and with "rc-update add hald default" using in root and i connect my external harddisk,it detects my external but after i double click to open it,nothing happen,i cant open my external drive. * My questions
from my previous* email was when i want to open Removable Media application there is a popup telling me that Volume Management is not supported and asked me to enable hald services. * Thank you. * Norman

NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

Old 06-21-2008, 09:37 AM
"Ward Poelmans"

2008/6/21 Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@yahoo.com>:
> Thank you. After i run this script "/etc/init.d/hald start" and with
> "rc-update add hald default" using in root and i connect my external
> harddisk,it detects my external but after i double click to open it,nothing
> happen,i cant open my external drive.

By detected you mean what? You can see an icon on your desktop for
your external drive?
Run "mount" and "dmesg" see what it tell's ya.

> My questions from my previous email was when i want to open Removable Media
> application there is a popup telling me that Volume Management is not
> supported and asked me to enable hald services.

Which desktop manager are you using? Gnome, KDE, xfce, ... ?
Do you have enfin rights? You need to member of certain groups (but i
can't remember which ones)
What does "id" tell you?

Ward

Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Norman Hakim

Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@gmail.com> wrote: 2008/6/21 Norman Hakim :
> Thank you. After i run this script "/etc/init.d/hald start" and with
> "rc-update add hald default" using in root and i connect my external
> harddisk,it detects my external but after i double click to open it,nothing
> happen,i cant open my external drive.

By detected you mean what? You can see an icon on your desktop for
your external drive?
Run "mount" and "dmesg" see what it tell's ya.

> My questions from my previous email was when i want to open Removable Media
> application there is a popup telling me that Volume Management is not
> supported and asked me to enable hald services.

Which desktop manager are you using? Gnome, KDE, xfce, ... ?
Do you have enfin rights?
You need to member of certain groups (but i
can't remember which ones)
What does "id" tell you?

Ward

Yes,i can the icon but i cannot open it,after i click it nothing happen. Is it i have to Run "mount" and "dmesg" using terminal? i'm using Gnome desktop manager,the id stated is "1000".

Before that, when i boot my liveCD during installation i booted using "gentoo nox". Actually can you explain bout "nox" because if i don't boot using "nox" there will be problem with my video card.

Thank you

Norman

NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

Old 06-21-2008, 10:55 AM
"Ward Poelmans"

2008/6/21 Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@yahoo.com>:
> Yes,i can the icon but i cannot open it,after i click it nothing happen. Is
> it i have to Run "mount" and "dmesg" using terminal? i'm using Gnome desktop
> manager,the id stated is "1000".

So when you click, nothings happens? No error message?
"id" should tell you a bit more. It should be something like:
uid=501(user) gid=501(user) groups=501(user),80(admin)

To make automount work, you need to be a member of a couple of groups.

Ward

Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Norman Hakim

Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@gmail.com> wrote: 2008/6/21 Norman Hakim :
> Yes,i can the icon but i cannot open it,after i click it nothing happen. Is
> it i have to Run "mount" and "dmesg" using terminal? i'm using Gnome desktop
> manager,the id stated is "1000".

So when you click, nothings happens? No error message?
"id" should tell you a bit more. It should be something like:
uid=501(user) gid=501(user) groups=501(user),80(admin)

To make automount work, you need to be a member of a couple of groups.

Ward

When i click nothing happen & no error message.i've checked the id, my account is 1000, and my acc is a member of a few groups like portage,root,daemon. * What are
the groups that i have to join so that i can make automount work?
* Regards, Norman

NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

Old 06-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Pupino

2008/6/21 Norman Hakim :
> Yes,i can the icon but i cannot open it,after i click it nothing happen. Is
> it i have to Run "mount" and "dmesg" using terminal? i'm using Gnome desktop

> manager,the id stated is "1000".

So when you click, nothings happens? No error message?
"id" should tell you a bit more. It should be something like:
uid=501(user) gid=501(user) groups=501(user),80(admin)

To make automount work, you need to be a member of a couple of groups.

Ward

When i click nothing happen & no error message.i've checked the id, my account is 1000, and my acc is a member of a few groups like portage,root,daemon. * What are
the groups that i have to join so that i can make automount work?
* Regards, Norman

NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

Hi,
adding yourself to the "disk" group will give you acces to disk device and adding to the "plugdev" group will grant you can use hald.

I think this should do the trick.
HTH
Davide

Old 06-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Norman Hakim schrieb:

Yes,i can the icon but i cannot open it,after i click it nothing happen. Is
it i have to Run "mount" and "dmesg" using terminal? i'm using Gnome desktop
manager,the id stated is "1000".

So when you click, nothings happens? No error message?
"id" should tell you a bit more. It should be something like:
uid=501(user) gid=501(user) groups=501(user),80(admin)

To make automount work, you need to be a member of a couple of groups.

Ward

When i click nothing happen & no error message.i've checked the id, my
account is 1000, and my acc is a member of a few groups like
portage,root,daemon.

What are the groups that i have to join so that i can make automount
work?

You need to be at least in the plugdev, cdrom, cdrw and usb groups to
take the advantage of hal and mount external devices.

PS: In addition to Micks recommendations. Can you please remove the
following when you reply with quotes to the list:

Everything below "-- " will show up as a signature in email clients
which are aware of this. I was almost not able to see your replies
because they looked like a part of the signature. Furthermore the text
considered as signature is stripped by most email clients when replying.
I tried to reformat your mail so it looks correct.

And please stop sending html mails. Your messages look like a big mess
when viewing them in text format.

I strongly advise you to read this [1] careful again and follow the
recommendations or you wont get many answers to your questions if you
make them so hard to read for others.

Regards,

Daniel

[1] http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

Old 06-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Norman Hakim

NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA

> i click it nothing happen. Is
> "dmesg" using terminal? i'm using Gnome
> desktop
> >>
> >> So when you click, nothings happens? No error
> message?
> >> "id" should tell you a bit more. It
> should be something like:
> >> uid=501(user) gid=501(user)
> groups=501(user),80(admin)
> >>
> >> To make automount work, you need to be a member of
> a couple of groups.
> >>
> >> Ward
> >
> > When i click nothing happen & no error
> message.i've checked the id, my
> > account is 1000, and my acc is a member of a few
> groups like
> > portage,root,daemon.
> >
> > What are the groups that i have to join so that i can
> make automount
> > work?
>
> You need to be at least in the plugdev, cdrom, cdrw and usb
> groups to
> take the advantage of hal and mount external devices.

I have grouped it in the plugdev,cdrom,cdrw and usb groups but still i cant
open my external drive and i've noticed that i also having problem to open
my cdrom after i double click the icon nothing happen.

Can anyone help me regarding these problems.