Old 06-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Default Remote install @Hetzner

Hi folks,

meanwhile I've got the machine running directly from Gentoo rootfs
I had to tweak several things in /sbin/rc and now am in the process
of merging back with the original one.

One nice tip:

Put a small wrapper in middle between init and rc which redirects
output to some file (needs rootfs mounted rw, of course). So you can
later see from rescue system what was happening

cu

Old 06-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> One nice tip:
>
> Put a small wrapper in middle between init and rc which redirects
> output to some file (needs rootfs mounted rw, of course). So you can
> later see from rescue system what was happening

Beware: this has one drawback:
If you're logging to the rootfs, it cannot be remounted ro in
/etc/init.d/checkroot, and if that failed - the machine's
unbootable again

I've changed it to just print out an warning instead of holding
up the whole boot process.

cu