Old 06-20-2008, 02:58 PM
"Paul Melvin"

Default Sudo config

HI,

*

I have been using ubuntu for a while and have come to like sudo.

*

Now I am moving over to gentoo and would like to set this up
as for me it is far more convenient to just type sudo rather than the su
business.

*

However when I emerge sudo, install and run it the following
comes up with:

*

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System

Administrator.
It usually boils down to these three things:

*

***
#1) Respect the privacy of others.

***
#2) Think before you type.

***
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

*

Password:

*

Which is all very good but I don’t really want to see
it every time, I have searched on how to remove it but have found nothing, I did
download sudo tar and do a grep and found it in one of the c files but as I am
not a programmer I don’t know if I can simply remove this or not.

*

How can I, when I sudo,:

*

1.get rid of all the text

2.change the password line to something, dare I say it, like
ubuntu, e.g. [sudo] password for paul, I assume paul is just a $USER

*

Cheers

*

paul

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3203 (20080620) __________

http://www.eset.com

#1) Respect the privacy of others.

***
#2) Think before you type.

***
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

*

Password:

*

Which is all very good but I don’t really want
to see
it every time, I have searched on how to remove it but have found
nothing, I did
download sudo tar and do a grep and found it in one of the c files but
as I am
not a programmer I don’t know if I can simply remove this or not.

*

How can I, when I sudo,:

*

1.get rid of all the text

2.change the password line to something, dare I
say it, like
ubuntu, e.g. [sudo] password for paul, I assume paul is just a $USER

*

Cheers

*

paul

Look at /etc/sudoers It is very well documented.

I have a line like

# Same thing without a password

%wheel* ALL=(ALL)****** NOPASSWD: ALL

which mean sthat anyone in the wheel group can use sudo as you want.

Anthony

Old 06-20-2008, 03:15 PM
"Ward Poelmans"

2008/6/20 Paul Melvin <paul@assured-networks.co.uk>:
> 1.get rid of all the text

Add:
Defaults !lecture

to you sudoers file

> 2.change the password line to something, dare I say it, like ubuntu, e.g.
> [sudo] password for paul, I assume paul is just a $USER

Look at the sudoers man page. It's all there.

Ward

Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Friday 20 June 2008, 16:58, Paul Melvin wrote:

> How can I, when I sudo,:
>

> 1.get rid of all the text

The "lecture" directive in /etc/sudoers seems to control that, although
it's not terribly clear.

> 2.change the password line to something, dare I say it, like ubuntu,
> e.g. [sudo] password for paul, I assume paul is just a $USER

This is controlled by the "passprompt" directive.

man sudoers has decent explanations of both.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:23 PM
"Conway S. Smith"

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:11:31 +0100
Anthony Metcalf <Anthony.Metcalf@anferny.ath.cx> wrote:
> Paul Melvin wrote:
> >
> > HI,
> >

> > I have been using ubuntu for a while and have come to like sudo.
> >

> > Now I am moving over to gentoo and would like to set this up as
> > for me it is far more convenient to just type sudo rather than
> > the su business.
> >

> > However when I emerge sudo, install and run it the following
> > comes up with:
> >

> > We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
> >
> > Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
> >

> > #1) Respect the privacy of others.
> >
> > #2) Think before you type.
> >
> > #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
> >

> > Password:
> >

> > Which is all very good but I don’t really want to see it every
> > time, I have searched on how to remove it but have found nothing,
> > I did download sudo tar and do a grep and found it in one of the
> > c files but as I am not a programmer I don’t know if I can simply
> > remove this or not.
> >

> > How can I, when I sudo,:
> >

> > 1.get rid of all the text
> >
> > 2.change the password line to something, dare I say it, like
> > ubuntu, e.g. [sudo] password for paul, I assume paul is just a
> > $USER
> >

> Look at /etc/sudoers It is very well documented.
>
> I have a line like
> > # Same thing without a password
> > %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
> which mean sthat anyone in the wheel group can use sudo as you want.
>
> Anthony

Note that the correct way to edit the /etc/sudoers file is w/ the
command visudo as root, rather than editing the file directly in your
favorite editor. Set the EDITOR environment variable to your
preferred editor & visudo should use it.

Conway S. Smith

Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
"Paul Melvin"

Thanks Ward and Etaoin, will do

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:

Which is all very good but I don’t really want to see it every
time,...

On my systems I have only seen this *every* time I `sudo` when my
clock has been broken.

Suggest you `emerge ntp` and add ntp-client to the default runlevel.

Stroller.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 AM
"Ward Poelmans"

2008/6/20 Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk>:

> On my systems I have only seen this *every* time I `sudo` when my clock has
> been broken.

That's because the lecture option has the value of once and when your
time is messed up, it resets.
Try adding:
Defaults !lecture
to your sudoers. No need to emerge ntp for that.

Ward

Old 06-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Stroller

On my systems I have only seen this *every* time I `sudo` when my
clock has

been broken.

That's because the lecture option has the value of once and when your
time is messed up, it resets.

Well, duh!

Try adding:
Defaults !lecture
to your sudoers. No need to emerge ntp for that.

This doesn't fix the problem of the clock being wrong, though, does
it? Chances are the CMOS battery's flat.

Stroller.