Old 06-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default Problem with keyboard layout

On Thursday 19 June 2008, Mateusz A. Mierzwiński wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have problem with Keyboard Layout. I've set KDE (3.5.9) to use Polish
> Keyboard Layout, but when i press left ALT it brings event like RETURN
> key was pressed. After pressing UP arrow print screen event with screen
> capture app bringing to life. What's wrong? I can't use my PC normal.
> Arch is AMD64, that things started after today's Gentoo update. What's
> wrong?
>
> If You tell me to get checksums of xkbcomp or something like that, I've
> all ready done it. Files are the same.
>
> ThX, Mateusz M

have you set your layout in xorg.conf? If no, try it and deactivate layouts in
kde. If yes, maybe it is bad interaction. What does xev report when you hit a
key?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Dimitar Toshev

On Thursday 19 June 2008, Mateusz A. Mierzwiński wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have problem with Keyboard Layout. I've set KDE (3.5.9) to use Polish
> Keyboard Layout, but when i press left ALT it brings event like RETURN
> key was pressed. After pressing UP arrow print screen event with screen
> capture app bringing to life. What's wrong? I can't use my PC normal.
> Arch is AMD64, that things started after today's Gentoo update. What's
> wrong?
>
> If You tell me to get checksums of xkbcomp or something like that, I've
> all ready done it. Files are the same.
>
> ThX, Mateusz M

Make sure you set the right keyboard model - it's set from the "Keyboard
Layout" config. If you use evdev for your keyboard driver, set the model
to "Evdev-managed keyboard"; otherwise, use on of the "Generic" models.

If this started happening recently, my guess is that you've upgraded
xf86-input-evdev and the new version is automatically detecting your keyboard
and mouse and assigning them to the evdev driver. In case you don't want
automatic input detection, add

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
EndSection

to your xorg.conf.

--
Dimitar Toshev

Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Rumen Yotov

On (19/06/08 22:41) "Mateusz A. Mierzwiński" wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have problem with Keyboard Layout. I've set KDE (3.5.9) to use Polish
> Keyboard Layout, but when i press left ALT it brings event like RETURN key
> was pressed. After pressing UP arrow print screen event with screen capture
> app bringing to life. What's wrong? I can't use my PC normal. Arch is
> AMD64, that things started after today's Gentoo update. What's wrong?
>
> If You tell me to get checksums of xkbcomp or something like that, I've all
> ready done it. Files are the same.
>
> ThX, Mateusz M

Hi,

Please check the elog message of your latest xf86-input-evdev ebuild.
Here's part of it (xf86-input-evdev-1.99.2-r2.log):
LOG 2008-06-12 09:35:06.380: If your XKB (keyboard settings) stopped
working,
LOG 2008-06-12 09:35:06.570: you may uninstall this driver or move
your XKB configuration.
LOG 2008-06-12 09:35:06.761: Download an example from
http://dev.gentoo.org/~compnerd/temp/hal-config-examples/
LOG 2008-06-12 09:35:06.952: (these will be installed with
sys-apps/hal soon),
LOG 2008-06-12 09:35:07.142: and drop it into /etc/hal/fdi/policy/
...end...
Or just see the ebuild itself.
This is working for me.
HTH. Rumen