Old 06-18-2008, 10:48 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

Default GRUB question

On Wednesday 18 June 2008 17:54:28 Florian Philipp wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:34:35 -0400
>
> "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@matthewlee.org> wrote:
> > I've just compiled a new kernel. I then mounted the boot partition,
> > copied the new bzimage across, along with .config and system.map. I
> > then edited the grub.conf But when I reboot it offers me the same
> > options as in the old grub.conf not the new one. I must have missed a
> > step somewhere, but I can't think where. Can anyone point me in the
> > right direction Thanks
> > Matt
>
> Did you check whether you've really overwritten the old grub.conf?
> Is the file in the right directory (/boot/grub/)? Is there a symlink
> menu.lst on grub.conf?
> Do you really boot from that partition?

the file /boot/grub/grub.conf has the new config.
menu.lst is a symlink to grub.conf
/boot is the mount point for /dev/sda1 the boot partition
the only thing that I changed is to replace the oldest kernel with the newest.
The order shouldn't make any difference, I want the default to be my current
working kernel. I want to test the new kernel before I make it the default.
Point is that this setup was working previously and has done so since I
started using gentoo. I have checked to make sure that /dev/sda1 was really
mounted at /boot when I copied everything across, and it was. So I don't know
what has gone wrong.

Matt

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dr. Matthew R. Lee

matt@matthewlee.org

Old 06-19-2008, 10:07 AM
dhk

Matthew R. Lee wrote:

[...]

Did you run grub-install?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:00 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

On Thursday 19 June 2008 06:07:27 dhk wrote:
> Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 June 2008 17:54:28 Florian Philipp wrote:

> >> Did you check whether you've really overwritten the old grub.conf?
> >> Is the file in the right directory (/boot/grub/)? Is there a symlink
> >> menu.lst on grub.conf?
> >> Do you really boot from that partition?
> >
> > the file /boot/grub/grub.conf has the new config.
> > menu.lst is a symlink to grub.conf
> > /boot is the mount point for /dev/sda1 the boot partition
> > the only thing that I changed is to replace the oldest kernel with the
> > newest. The order shouldn't make any difference, I want the default to be
> > my current working kernel. I want to test the new kernel before I make it
> > the default. Point is that this setup was working previously and has done
> > so since I started using gentoo. I have checked to make sure that
> > /dev/sda1 was really mounted at /boot when I copied everything across,
> > and it was. So I don't know what has gone wrong.
> >
> > Matt
>
> Did you run grub-install?

No, and before I do, given the warnings in the manual, I want to make sure I
don't screw up
I have a standard partition layout with three partitions sda1 (boot) sda2
(swap) sda3 (the rest). sda1 is the bootable partition

So I issue the command grub-instal /dev/sda
Correct??

Thanks
Matt

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Miika Linnapuomi

Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:00:41 -0400
"Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@matthewlee.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 19 June 2008 06:07:27 dhk wrote:
> > Matthew R. Lee wrote:

> > > the file /boot/grub/grub.conf has the new config.
> > > menu.lst is a symlink to grub.conf
> > > /boot is the mount point for /dev/sda1 the boot partition
> > > the only thing that I changed is to replace the oldest kernel
> > > with the newest. The order shouldn't make any difference, I want
> > > the default to be my current working kernel. I want to test the
> > > new kernel before I make it the default. Point is that this setup
> > > was working previously and has done so since I started using
> > > gentoo. I have checked to make sure that /dev/sda1 was really
> > > mounted at /boot when I copied everything across, and it was. So
> > > I don't know what has gone wrong.
> > >
> > > Matt
> >
> > Did you run grub-install?
>
> No, and before I do, given the warnings in the manual, I want to make
> sure I don't screw up
> I have a standard partition layout with three partitions sda1 (boot)
> sda2 (swap) sda3 (the rest). sda1 is the bootable partition
>
> So I issue the command grub-instal /dev/sda
> Correct??
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Yes, grub-install /dev/sda should do it. Just make sure /boot is mounted

Thanks

Miika

Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

On Monday 23 June 2008 16:55:08 Miika Linnapuomi wrote:
> Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:00:41 -0400
>
> "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@matthewlee.org> wrote:

> > > Did you run grub-install?
> >
> > No, and before I do, given the warnings in the manual, I want to make
> > sure I don't screw up
> > I have a standard partition layout with three partitions sda1 (boot)
> > sda2 (swap) sda3 (the rest). sda1 is the bootable partition
> >
> > So I issue the command grub-instal /dev/sda
> > Correct??
> >
> > Thanks
> > Matt
>
> Yes, grub-install /dev/sda should do it. Just make sure /boot is mounted
>

> Thanks
>
> Miika
Well I ran grub-install, but I've run into a problem.
When I reboot the splash and menu do not appear, so I can't select which
kernel to boot. If I press return the the first kernel in the list is
loaded. After a screen full of gibberish the normal list of processes etc
intitating fill the screen until X starts.
I've included my grub.conf below.
Anybody know what the problem is?
Thanks
Matt

default 0

timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,0) /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo 2.6.22-r2

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.22-r2-2 root=/dev/sda3
video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@70

title=Gentoo 2.6.25-r5

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-r5 root=/dev/sda3

Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Miika Linnapuomi

Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:17:31 -0400
"Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@matthewlee.org> wrote:

> Well I ran grub-install, but I've run into a problem.
> When I reboot the splash and menu do not appear, so I can't select
> which kernel to boot. If I press return the the first kernel in the
> list is loaded. After a screen full of gibberish the normal list of
> processes etc intitating fill the screen until X starts.
> I've included my grub.conf below.
> Anybody know what the problem is?
> Thanks
> Matt
>
> default 0
>
> timeout 30
>
> splashimage=(hd0,0) /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> title=Gentoo 2.6.22-r2
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.22-r2-2 root=/dev/sda3
> video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@70
>
> title=Gentoo 2.6.25-r5
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-r5 root=/dev/sda3
> video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@70

splash, or with

splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

Thanks

Miika

Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

On Monday 23 June 2008 17:41:30 Miika Linnapuomi wrote:
> Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:17:31 -0400
>
> "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@matthewlee.org> wrote:
> > Well I ran grub-install, but I've run into a problem.
> > When I reboot the splash and menu do not appear, so I can't select
> > which kernel to boot. If I press return the the first kernel in the
> > list is loaded. After a screen full of gibberish the normal list of
> > processes etc intitating fill the screen until X starts.
> > I've included my grub.conf below.
> > Anybody know what the problem is?
> > Thanks
> > Matt
> >
> > default 0
> >
> > timeout 30
> >
> > splashimage=(hd0,0) /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> >
> > title=Gentoo 2.6.22-r2
> >
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.22-r2-2 root=/dev/sda3
> > video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@70
> >
> > title=Gentoo 2.6.25-r5
> >
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-r5 root=/dev/sda3
> > video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@70

> splash, or with
>
> splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> Thanks
>
> Miika

So I should comment out the
line "splashimage=(hd0,0) /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz"

The file splash.xpm.gz does exist though

Matt

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Old 06-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Peter Ruskin

On Monday 23 June 2008, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> So I should comment out the
> line "splashimage=(hd0,0) /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz"
^
---------------------------|

Kill this space and it should work.

--
Peter

Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Neil Walker

Matthew R. Lee wrote:
So I should comment out the
line "splashimage=(hd0,0) /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz"

The file splash.xpm.gz does exist though

Maybe it does - but the path you have entered in grub.conf doesn't.
There should not be a space after "(hd0,0)".

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

On Monday 23 June 2008 18:11:09 Neil Walker wrote:
> Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> > So I should comment out the
> > line "splashimage=(hd0,0) /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz"
> >
> > The file splash.xpm.gz does exist though
>
> Maybe it does - but the path you have entered in grub.conf doesn't.
> There should not be a space after "(hd0,0)".
>

> Be lucky,
>
> Neil

> believed to be clean.

Thanks that sorted it
However, looking at old, backup, versions of grub.conf that I have; they all
have the same space and before the grub-install the splash appeared when
booting.

Saludos
Matt

--