Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default GRUB question

On Wednesday 18 June 2008, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> I've just compiled a new kernel. I then mounted the boot partition,
> copied the new bzimage across, along with .config and system.map. I
> then edited the grub.conf But when I reboot it offers me the same
> options as in the old grub.conf not the new one. I must have missed a
> step somewhere, but I can't think where. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction
> Thanks
> Matt
>
> New grub.conf:
> default 0
>
> timeout 30
>
> splashimage=(hd0,0) /boot/grub/splash2.xpm.gz
>
> title=Gentoo 2.6.22-r2
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.22-r2-2 root=/dev/sda3
> video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@70
>
> title=Gentoo 2.6.25-r5
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-r5 root=/dev/sda3
> video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@70

Switch the stanzas around in grub.conf. You have the older kernel listed
first, and 'default 0'

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
"Matthew R. Lee"

[...]

Old grub.conf:
default 0

timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,0) /boot/grub/splash2.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo 2.6.22-r2

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.22-r2-2 root=/dev/sda3
video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@70

title=Gentoo 2.6.18-r6

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.18-r6 root=/dev/sda3
video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x800-24@70
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dr. Matthew R. Lee

matt@matthewlee.org

Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:34:35 -0400, Matthew R. Lee wrote:

> I've just compiled a new kernel. I then mounted the boot partition,
> copied the new bzimage across, along with .config and system.map. I
> then edited the grub.conf But when I reboot it offers me the same
> options as in the old grub.conf not the new one.

It's much easier to use make install to copy and have your grub entries
point to vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old, that way you don't need to touch your
grub config.

Do you also have a menu.lst file in /boot/grub (as opposed to a symlink).
AFAIK, this file takes precedence over grub.conf if both are present.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows will never cease.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Florian Philipp

"Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@matthewlee.org> wrote:

> I've just compiled a new kernel. I then mounted the boot partition,
> copied the new bzimage across, along with .config and system.map. I
> then edited the grub.conf But when I reboot it offers me the same
> options as in the old grub.conf not the new one. I must have missed a
> step somewhere, but I can't think where. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction Thanks
> Matt

Did you check whether you've really overwritten the old grub.conf?
Is the file in the right directory (/boot/grub/)? Is there a symlink
menu.lst on grub.conf?
Do you really boot from that partition?