Old 06-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default Upgrading without breaking LVM

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:32:33 +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:

> Sorry for replying to my own message, just had a thought. Could this all
> be a udev rules problem? I mean could some new rules in the updated udev
> package be causing my lvm/raid devices to not be picked up and
> activated?

Are your LVM partitions marked accordingly in (c)fdisk?

--
Neil Bothwick

There's no such thing as a free lunch
___Steve Ballmer, choking on a linuxburger

Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Matt Harrison

Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 24 June 2008, Matt Harrison wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> | On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:32:33 +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:
> |> Sorry for replying to my own message, just had a thought. Could
> |> this all be a udev rules problem? I mean could some new rules in
> |> the updated udev package be causing my lvm/raid devices to not be
> |> picked up and activated?
> |
> | Are your LVM partitions marked accordingly in (c)fdisk?
>
> No they're marked as Linux Raid Autodetect, as the lvm is on top of
> raid. Is this an issue?

For lvm2 it is fine. It's raid that is using the native device, so you
have it tagged correctly.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Daniel Iliev

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:41:12 +0100
Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@genestate.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some of you may remember my problems with lvm after an update in
> http://www.archivum.info/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/2008-04/msg00899.html
>
> I'm now headed back towards the same situation. I have a load of
> updates to do according to emerge -DNavu world but I've had to mask
> all upgraded versions of udev, mdadm and lvm as every time I upgrade
> them, it breaks my disk access.
>
> Whenever I upgrade these packages (I'm not which one of those 3 is
> actually to blame, and I don't want to chance it) I can no longer
> access the lvm volumes on my disks. I have no idea what is causing it.
>
> This means I cannot do a world update as those manually masked
> packages are blocking a lot of other packages.
>
> A few months on, is anyone able to shed light on why updating any of
> those 3 packages causes my system to be unbootable and my data to be
> inaccessible?
>
> I would really like to keep my system up to date, but as you can
> understand, I'm loathe to make changes that will give me a borked
> system yet again.
>
> Grateful for advice anyone can give as my system is now getting quite
> out of date.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt Harrison

Please, make it clear: which versions of all relevant packages are you
using?

emerge --info | grep ACC
emerge --info | grep baselayout
emerge -pv lvm2 udev baselayout mdadm