Old 06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default temporarily lower gcc's optimization flags - HowTo

On Wednesday 18 June 2008, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> due to a bug with gcc-4.3.1 when used with -O2 or higher
> I need to emerge a package with a lower optimization (-O1)
> than my default in /etc/make.conf (which is -O2)
>
> Is there a means to do so without changing /etc/make.conf temporarily?

you could edit the ebuild and add filter-flags to it. Then copy it to your
local overlay, ebuild blabla.ebuild digest and you are ready to emerge.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Justin

Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:

due to a bug with gcc-4.3.1 when used with -O2 or higher
I need to emerge a package with a lower optimization (-O1)
than my default in /etc/make.conf (which is -O2)

Is there a means to do so without changing /etc/make.conf temporarily?

you could edit the ebuild and add filter-flags to it. Then copy it to your
local overlay, ebuild blabla.ebuild digest and you are ready to emerge.

First he only wants to reduce his CFLAGS and second as discussed it is
more easy to use EXTRA_ECONF variable to expand configure stuff.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 18 June 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:20:52 +0200 (CEST)
>
> Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > due to a bug with gcc-4.3.1 when used with -O2 or higher
> > I need to emerge a package with a lower optimization (-O1)
> > than my default in /etc/make.conf (which is -O2)
> >
> > Is there a means to do so without changing /etc/make.conf
> > temporarily?

[snip]

> AFAIK, you can override all settings when calling emerge like this:
>
> CFLAGS="..." emerge ...

Which is something you should never do.

Portage does not know that you did this, and with the next emerge it
will revert back to whatever is in the various config files, which you
will have forgotten, and you will pull your hair out for hours trying
to figure out what the problem is. For the second time.

Don't change env vars on the command line to modify portage's behaviour,
instead use the relevant config file, unless such a file really really
doe snot exist.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Florian Philipp

Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Wednesday 18 June 2008, Justin wrote:

> First he only wants to reduce his CFLAGS and second as discussed it is
> more easy to use EXTRA_ECONF variable to expand configure stuff.

and filter-flags does exaclty that - filter and replaces flags.