Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Iain Buchanan

Default Ati or Nvida (emacs or vi (gnome or kde) ...))

Hi,

I changed the subject slightly to make my point: Every person will have
a different opinion, as the number of replies already shows. Everyone
has had different experiences with either. Some people buy one card
that never worked with the propriatary drivers, and therefore never buy
from them again. Some people buy a card and have great performanc and
no problems, ever. Personally, I've used a number of both cards, and
I've been able to get 3D working and quite stable on all of them.

My best advice would be to find someone who has the exact card you want
to buy, and see how it works for them. Distribution doesn't matter, so
long as it's linux. Then check kernel and Xorg versions.

HTH!

I would much rather have men ask why I have no statue, than why I have one.
-- Marcus Procius Cato