Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   mythdvd on Gentoo? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/108695-mythdvd-gentoo.html)

"Mark Knecht" 06-17-2008 11:51 PM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
I wonder if anyone can share how to use the mythdvd module on Gentoo?
I've always emerged mythtv with the dvd flag but the mythdvd module
isn't emerged. It's not a problem for me to emerge it separately but
I'm wondering whether it needs to be emerged on only the backend or on
every frontend or all machines?

Once emerged does it just show up as another media option on the frontend?

Thanks,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Eric Martin 06-18-2008 12:12 AM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
Mark Knecht wrote:

I wonder if anyone can share how to use the mythdvd module on Gentoo?
I've always emerged mythtv with the dvd flag but the mythdvd module
isn't emerged.

Can't help with that as I'm not in front of my box ATM.
It's not a problem for me to emerge it separately but

I'm wondering whether it needs to be emerged on only the backend or on
every frontend or all machines?

Only needs to be emerged on front end machines


Once emerged does it just show up as another media option on the frontend?


yes, any of those plugins will appear once the frontend has been restarted.

Thanks,
Mark

No prob, HTH

--
Eric Martin
PGP fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F

"Mark Knecht" 06-18-2008 01:36 AM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if anyone can share how to use the mythdvd module on Gentoo?
>> I've always emerged mythtv with the dvd flag but the mythdvd module
>> isn't emerged.
>
> Can't help with that as I'm not in front of my box ATM.
> It's not a problem for me to emerge it separately but
>>
>> I'm wondering whether it needs to be emerged on only the backend or on
>> every frontend or all machines?
>
> Only needs to be emerged on front end machines
>>
>> Once emerged does it just show up as another media option on the frontend?
>>
> yes, any of those plugins will appear once the frontend has been restarted.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>
> No prob, HTH
>
> --
> Eric Martin

Eric,
Thanks for responding. I tried emerging it on one of my frontends.
The ebuild told me to remove it since mythdvd is now included in
mythtv itself. I'm running 0.21 if that's different than your setup.
Anyway, this implies I should see mythdvd stuff in my frontend already
but I don't see anything. Is there some configuration setup work that
I have to do to make it visible?

Thanks,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Eric Martin 06-18-2008 02:09 AM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
Mark Knecht wrote:

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

Mark Knecht wrote:

I wonder if anyone can share how to use the mythdvd module on Gentoo?
I've always emerged mythtv with the dvd flag but the mythdvd module
isn't emerged.

Can't help with that as I'm not in front of my box ATM.
It's not a problem for me to emerge it separately but

I'm wondering whether it needs to be emerged on only the backend or on
every frontend or all machines?

Only needs to be emerged on front end machines

Once emerged does it just show up as another media option on the frontend?


yes, any of those plugins will appear once the frontend has been restarted.

Thanks,
Mark

No prob, HTH

--
Eric Martin


Eric,
Thanks for responding. I tried emerging it on one of my frontends.
The ebuild told me to remove it since mythdvd is now included in
mythtv itself. I'm running 0.21 if that's different than your setup.
Anyway, this implies I should see mythdvd stuff in my frontend already
but I don't see anything. Is there some configuration setup work that
I have to do to make it visible?

Thanks,
Mark


Wow, I guess I'm due for an upgrade. While I tend to be bleeding edge
on most stuff I'm very slow on mythtv upgrades (my wife hates it when it
breaks). I'm running .20 and I know .21 is very different. Seeing as I
have a different setup I'm stumped ATM. If nobody here can answer your
question, consider posting to mythtv-users.


--
Eric Martin
Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F

"Mark Knecht" 06-18-2008 02:19 AM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
>>
>> Eric,
>> Thanks for responding. I tried emerging it on one of my frontends.
>> The ebuild told me to remove it since mythdvd is now included in
>> mythtv itself. I'm running 0.21 if that's different than your setup.
>> Anyway, this implies I should see mythdvd stuff in my frontend already
>> but I don't see anything. Is there some configuration setup work that
>> I have to do to make it visible?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>
> Wow, I guess I'm due for an upgrade. While I tend to be bleeding edge on
> most stuff I'm very slow on mythtv upgrades (my wife hates it when it
> breaks). I'm running .20 and I know .21 is very different. Seeing as I
> have a different setup I'm stumped ATM. If nobody here can answer your
> question, consider posting to mythtv-users.
>
> --
> Eric Martin

Will do. Thanks!

- Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Neil Bothwick 06-18-2008 07:43 AM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:51:05 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I wonder if anyone can share how to use the mythdvd module on Gentoo?
> I've always emerged mythtv with the dvd flag but the mythdvd module
> isn't emerged. It's not a problem for me to emerge it separately but
> I'm wondering whether it needs to be emerged on only the backend or on
> every frontend or all machines?

From 0.21 MythDVD is part of the core MythTV package, so the mythdvd-0.21
ebuild installs nothing, just gives you a message to this effect.

> Once emerged does it just show up as another media option on the
> frontend?

MythDVD runs on the frontend, you should have a CD/DVD item in the main
menu, with options to Play DVD and Import DVD.


--
Neil Bothwick

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

"Mark Knecht" 06-18-2008 04:14 PM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:51:05 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> I wonder if anyone can share how to use the mythdvd module on Gentoo?
>> I've always emerged mythtv with the dvd flag but the mythdvd module
>> isn't emerged. It's not a problem for me to emerge it separately but
>> I'm wondering whether it needs to be emerged on only the backend or on
>> every frontend or all machines?
>
> From 0.21 MythDVD is part of the core MythTV package, so the mythdvd-0.21
> ebuild installs nothing, just gives you a message to this effect.
>
>> Once emerged does it just show up as another media option on the
>> frontend?
>
> MythDVD runs on the frontend, you should have a CD/DVD item in the main
> menu, with options to Play DVD and Import DVD.
>
Neil,
I do not have this option in the main menu. I see:

Watch TV
Media
Manage Recordings
Information Center
Utilities/Setup

According to this 0.20 oriented Wiki there doesn't seem to be
anything I need to do to at least find it in the menus but it's not
here or in any of the sub-menus.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Neil Bothwick 06-18-2008 04:40 PM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:14:56 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > MythDVD runs on the frontend, you should have a CD/DVD item in the
> > main menu, with options to Play DVD and Import DVD.

> I do not have this option in the main menu. I see:
>
> Watch TV
> Media
> Manage Recordings
> Information Center
> Utilities/Setup

It appears between Information Centre and Utilities/Setup here.

> According to this 0.20 oriented Wiki there doesn't seem to be
> anything I need to do to at least find it in the menus but it's not
> here or in any of the sub-menus.

The MythTV wiki should relate to the release version, 0.21.

> Ideas?

USE flags? Mine are

% eix -e mythtv
[i] media-tv/mythtv
Available versions: 0.20.2_p14972 0.20.2_p15634 (~)0.21_p16867 (~)0.21_p16926 (~).21_p16944
(~)0.21_p17100 (~)0.21_p17435 [M](~)0.22_alpha17132 [M](~)0.22_alpha17449
Installed versions: 0.21_p17435(17:45:37 03/06/08)(aac alsa dvb dvd ieee1394 lirc mmx opengl
python video_cards_nvidia x264 xvid xvmc -altivec -autostart -debug
-directv -fftw -jack -lcd -perl)


--
Neil Bothwick

God: What one human uses to persecute another.

"Mark Knecht" 06-18-2008 06:35 PM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:14:56 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> > MythDVD runs on the frontend, you should have a CD/DVD item in the
>> > main menu, with options to Play DVD and Import DVD.
>
>> I do not have this option in the main menu. I see:
>>
>> Watch TV
>> Media
>> Manage Recordings
>> Information Center
>> Utilities/Setup
>
> It appears between Information Centre and Utilities/Setup here.
>
>> According to this 0.20 oriented Wiki there doesn't seem to be
>> anything I need to do to at least find it in the menus but it's not
>> here or in any of the sub-menus.
>
> The MythTV wiki should relate to the release version, 0.21.
>
>> Ideas?
>
> USE flags? Mine are
>
> % eix -e mythtv
> [i] media-tv/mythtv
> Available versions: 0.20.2_p14972 0.20.2_p15634 (~)0.21_p16867 (~)0.21_p16926 (~).21_p16944
> (~)0.21_p17100 (~)0.21_p17435 [M](~)0.22_alpha17132 [M](~)0.22_alpha17449
> Installed versions: 0.21_p17435(17:45:37 03/06/08)(aac alsa dvb dvd ieee1394 lirc mmx opengl
> python video_cards_nvidia x264 xvid xvmc -altivec -autostart -debug
> -directv -fftw -jack -lcd -perl)
>
>
> --
> Neil Bothwick

eix -e mythtv
<SNIP>
Installed versions: 0.21_p16867(12:32:45 04/07/08)(alsa dvb dvd
ivtv mmx perl python vorbis xvmc -aac -altivec -autostart -dbox2
-debug -directv -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -iptv -jack -joystick -lcd -lirc
-opengl -opengl-video -opengl-xvmc -video_cards_nvidia
-video_cards_via)

Slightly older version on this machine so I'll upgrade to the one you
are running in case it's a bug that got caught and fixed. Unless it's
the opengl stuff I don't see anything else really obvious to me.

Let me know what flags you think I might want to change and I'll do a
new emerge.

One note, in case it's important. This machine used to be our 0.20
backend server. I've since built a new 0.21 dedicated server and now
this is used as a 0.21 frontend only. I doubt that makes any
difference but fewer emails with more info is sometimes better. Also,
I checked that the DVD is working and correctly seen by the system. I
can mount a DVD in Gnome's GUI and I can watch movies using xine so I
think this is a myth specific issue.

If a rebuild with flag changes doesn't fix it I'll then post to
myth-users and see if anyone there knows why it isn't working.

Thanks again,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Neil Bothwick 06-18-2008 08:12 PM

mythdvd on Gentoo?
 
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:35:29 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> eix -e mythtv
> <SNIP>
> Installed versions: 0.21_p16867(12:32:45 04/07/08)(alsa dvb dvd
> ivtv mmx perl python vorbis xvmc -aac -altivec -autostart -dbox2
> -debug -directv -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -iptv -jack -joystick -lcd -lirc
> -opengl -opengl-video -opengl-xvmc -video_cards_nvidia
> -video_cards_via)
>
> Slightly older version on this machine so I'll upgrade to the one you
> are running in case it's a bug that got caught and fixed. Unless it's
> the opengl stuff I don't see anything else really obvious to me.

I'm sure I was running that version at some time, and never noticed the
menu disappearing. If you're missing the top-level menu, you are also
missing the CD playing stuff as well as the mytharchive controls. It
might be worth installing mytharchive just to see if it brings the menu
up.

It is possible that your theme is at fault, I had some options disappear
when I switched to 0.21 while using a theme that was only for 0.20.


--
Neil Bothwick

*/ * <- Tribbles having a swordfight


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.