Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default mythdvd on Gentoo?

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
<SNIP>

>> Slightly older version on this machine so I'll upgrade to the one you
>> are running in case it's a bug that got caught and fixed. Unless it's
>> the opengl stuff I don't see anything else really obvious to me.
>
> I'm sure I was running that version at some time, and never noticed the
> menu disappearing. If you're missing the top-level menu, you are also
> missing the CD playing stuff as well as the mytharchive controls. It
> might be worth installing mytharchive just to see if it brings the menu
> up.

I am missing everything having to do with reading physical media, but
I don't have mythmusic installed so I hadn't been looking for that.
I'll try emerging mytharchive later this evening. The only packages
currently emerged are mythtv and myth-themes. Nothing else.

> It is possible that your theme is at fault, I had some options disappear
> when I switched to 0.21 while using a theme that was only for 0.20.

I tried 4 other themes earlier and got the same results so I'm
disinclined to think that's it at this point.

Thanks much,
Mark

Old 06-19-2008, 12:24 AM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> Slightly older version on this machine so I'll upgrade to the one you
>>> are running in case it's a bug that got caught and fixed. Unless it's
>>> the opengl stuff I don't see anything else really obvious to me.
>>
>> I'm sure I was running that version at some time, and never noticed the
>> menu disappearing. If you're missing the top-level menu, you are also
>> missing the CD playing stuff as well as the mytharchive controls. It
>> might be worth installing mytharchive just to see if it brings the menu
>> up.
>>

> I am missing everything having to do with reading physical media, but
> I don't have mythmusic installed so I hadn't been looking for that.
> I'll try emerging mytharchive later this evening. The only packages
> currently emerged are mythtv and myth-themes. Nothing else.

OK Neil. thanks. I added mytharchive and now I have the optical disks
menu entry. That's a step in the right direction. Seems I need to add
some storage area for it to store ripped discs I suppose, but other
than that at least things look more functional.

Maybe I made an assumption about mythdvd that was incorrect. My wife
asked if she could watch movies inside of Myth instead of using xine.
I assumed Myth could just play a movie from the disc but it seems like
possibly it wants to rip first?

Are you able to play DVD's without ripping them? If so maybe I'm
missing some other module? mythvideo possibly?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 06-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:24:40 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I assumed Myth could just play a movie from the disc but it seems like
> possibly it wants to rip first?

As I understand it, MythTV can play DVDs, although I've never tried it. I
only use MythDVD to rip discs.

> Are you able to play DVD's without ripping them? If so maybe I'm
> missing some other module? mythvideo possibly?

You need mythvideo to play the files ripped from DVDs, but not to play
direct AFAIK.

--
Neil Bothwick

I am Speedy Gonzales of Borg: Prepare to be accelerated!