Old 06-17-2008, 01:19 PM
"Andrew MacKenzie"

Default Multiple TV Cards.

I'm building a MythTV box and I have two TV tuners I'd like to use. One is
a AVerMedia TVPhone (video0 - this card works fine) the other is an ATI
TV-Wonder VE (video1 - does not work fine).

The TV Wonder apparently needs to be told which tuner to use via
these instructions:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATI_TV-Wonder_VE

-------8<-------
poppa-serve ~ # grep bttv /etc/modules.conf
alias char-major-81 bttv
options bttv tuner=2
-------8<-------

Linux does seem to be picking up the wrong tuner for this card (dmesg shows
bttv1: using tuner=19).

But since I have two video cards that are both using bttv... How do I set
this option for one but not the other? Can I 'rmmod' the driver for video1
but not video0?

--
// Andrew MacKenzie | http://www.edespot.com
// GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key

Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 PM
"Duane Griffin"

2008/6/17 Andrew MacKenzie <amackenz@edespot.com>:
> But since I have two video cards that are both using bttv... How do I set
> this option for one but not the other? Can I 'rmmod' the driver for video1
> but not video0?

Nope, it doesn't work like that. But luckily, there is another way.
The tuner parameter is an array. Try "tuner=-1,2" to auto-detect on
the first card and specify the tuner explicitly for the second.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan

Old 06-20-2008, 11:16 PM
"Andrew MacKenzie"

+++ Duane Griffin [gentoo-user] [Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:53:38PM +0100]:
> 2008/6/17 Andrew MacKenzie <amackenz@edespot.com>:
> > But since I have two video cards that are both using bttv... How do I set
> > this option for one but not the other? Can I 'rmmod' the driver for video1
> > but not video0?
> Nope, it doesn't work like that. But luckily, there is another way.
> The tuner parameter is an array. Try "tuner=-1,2" to auto-detect on
> the first card and specify the tuner explicitly for the second.
Sweet, I never knew that! Is this 'standard' for options passed to modules
(so if I needed to do something similar with two NICs)?

--
// Andrew MacKenzie | http://www.edespot.com
// GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key
// "Wow, I'm being shot at from both sides. That means I *must* be right. :-)"
// -- Larry Wall

Old 06-21-2008, 02:18 AM
"Duane Griffin"

2008/6/21 Andrew MacKenzie <amackenz@edespot.com>:
> +++ Duane Griffin [gentoo-user] [Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:53:38PM +0100]:
>> Nope, it doesn't work like that. But luckily, there is another way.
>> The tuner parameter is an array. Try "tuner=-1,2" to auto-detect on
>> the first card and specify the tuner explicitly for the second.
> Sweet, I never knew that! Is this 'standard' for options passed to modules
> (so if I needed to do something similar with two NICs)?

It depends on the specific parameter/module. You can see the parameter
types in their description using modinfo. For example, "/sbin/modinfo
e1000e" shows most parameters with type "array of int". These will
probably work in a similar way. However the "copybreak" parameter has
type "uint", so that can only be set to a single value globally.

You may also find it useful to check existing parameter values by
looking at /sys/module/<module>/parameters/<parameter> files.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan