FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 AM
"Paul Melvin"
 
Default Wireless hidden association problem

Hi,


*


I have a dell laptop with intel wireless card (ipw2200) and
am trying to configure it to use WPA-PSK.


*


I have setup up the card correctly utilizing the ipw2200 module,
wpa_supplicant and wireless_tools.


*


If I use a broadcast ssid everything works, however if I turn
off the broadcast on the ap and do a debug of the wpa, it recognizes that there
is a hidden ssid but will not connect to it.


*


I would rather use hidden ssids than not but how can I get it
to connect?


*


Please can you also tell me a quick way to restart the
interface to make it go through all the negotiaton, as I have moved from ubuntu
where /etc/init.d/networking restart did it


*


Cheers


*


Paul






__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3193 (20080617) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com
 
Old 06-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Sergey Kobzar
 
Default Wireless hidden association problem

Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 1:37:29 PM, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a dell laptop with intel wireless card (ipw2200) and am
> trying to configure it to use WPA-PSK.
>
> I have setup up the card correctly utilizing the ipw2200 module,
> wpa_supplicant and wireless_tools.
>
> If I use a broadcast ssid everything works, however if I turn off
> the broadcast on the ap and do a debug of the wpa, it recognizes
> that there is a hidden ssid but will not connect to it.
>
> I would rather use hidden ssids than not but how can I get it to connect?

I have similar problem with Cisco AP and Intel 3945, D-Link
DWL-G500 adapters under Gentoo/FreeBSD. Looks like it's wpa_supplicant
permanent problem. Windows works fine.

AFAIK there is no solution except using broadcasts.


> Please can you also tell me a quick way to restart the interface to
> make it go through all the negotiaton, as I have moved from ubuntu
> where /etc/init.d/networking restart did it
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul



> __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
> signature database 3193 (20080617) __________

> The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

> http://www.eset.com


--
Sergey

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-17-2008, 11:07 AM
"Paul Melvin"
 
Default Wireless hidden association problem

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for that, since my question I have found that if I enter the iwconfig
command into /etc/conf.d/net it does work; i.e.

iwconfig eth1 essid name_of_ssid

However I am not sure how this would work if I had a load of hidden ssids,
if at all, and it does seem messy

Is wpa_supplicant the best/only way to do this?

Please can anyone tell me how this works in ubuntu as it does seem to and I
would hope that I could replicate it

Cheers

paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Sergey Kobzar [mailto:tod.zullu@gmail.com]
Sent: 17 June 2008 11:55
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless hidden association problem

Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 1:37:29 PM, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a dell laptop with intel wireless card (ipw2200) and am
> trying to configure it to use WPA-PSK.
>
> I have setup up the card correctly utilizing the ipw2200 module,
> wpa_supplicant and wireless_tools.
>
> If I use a broadcast ssid everything works, however if I turn off
> the broadcast on the ap and do a debug of the wpa, it recognizes
> that there is a hidden ssid but will not connect to it.
>
> I would rather use hidden ssids than not but how can I get it to connect?

I have similar problem with Cisco AP and Intel 3945, D-Link
DWL-G500 adapters under Gentoo/FreeBSD. Looks like it's wpa_supplicant
permanent problem. Windows works fine.

AFAIK there is no solution except using broadcasts.


> Please can you also tell me a quick way to restart the interface to
> make it go through all the negotiaton, as I have moved from ubuntu
> where /etc/init.d/networking restart did it
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul



> __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
> signature database 3193 (20080617) __________

> The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

> http://www.eset.com


--
Sergey

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list


__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature
database 3193 (20080617) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com



__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature
database 3193 (20080617) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Florian Philipp
 
Default Wireless hidden association problem

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:07:31 +0100
"Paul Melvin" <paul@assured-networks.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Sergey,
>
> Thanks for that, since my question I have found that if I enter the
> iwconfig command into /etc/conf.d/net it does work; i.e.
>
> iwconfig eth1 essid name_of_ssid
>
> However I am not sure how this would work if I had a load of hidden
> ssids, if at all, and it does seem messy
>
> Is wpa_supplicant the best/only way to do this?
>
> Please can anyone tell me how this works in ubuntu as it does seem to
> and I would hope that I could replicate it
>
> Cheers
>
> paul
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sergey Kobzar [mailto:tod.zullu@gmail.com]
> Sent: 17 June 2008 11:55
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: [SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless hidden association problem
>
> Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 1:37:29 PM, Paul wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a dell laptop with intel wireless card (ipw2200) and am
> > trying to configure it to use WPA-PSK.
> >
> > I have setup up the card correctly utilizing the ipw2200 module,
> > wpa_supplicant and wireless_tools.
> >
> > If I use a broadcast ssid everything works, however if I turn off
> > the broadcast on the ap and do a debug of the wpa, it recognizes
> > that there is a hidden ssid but will not connect to it.
> >
> > I would rather use hidden ssids than not but how can I get it to
> > connect?
>
> I have similar problem with Cisco AP and Intel 3945, D-Link
> DWL-G500 adapters under Gentoo/FreeBSD. Looks like it's wpa_supplicant
> permanent problem. Windows works fine.
>
> AFAIK there is no solution except using broadcasts.
>
>
> > Please can you also tell me a quick way to restart the interface to
> > make it go through all the negotiaton, as I have moved from ubuntu
> > where /etc/init.d/networking restart did it
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Paul
>

I use wpa_supplicant and it's working flawlessly with a hidden ssid and
some unhidden ones. Here is an excerpt from my wpa_supplicant.conf:

network={ <<<--normal net with wpa2 and visible ssid
ssid="..."
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="..."
}
network={ <<<--net with wep and hidden ssid
scan_ssid=1
ssid="..."
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key0=8346...
wep_tx_keyidx=0
}
eapol_version=1 <<<--some general options
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

I'm using iwl3945, by the way.

As far as Ubuntu goes, I think they use networkmanager which gives you
a nice gui but only marginal advantages over properly configured
wpa_supplicant and /etc/conf.d/net-files.

Here are some parts of my /etc/conf.d/net:

modules_eth1=( "wpa_supplicant" )
wpa_supplicant_eth1="-Dwext"
iwconfig_eth1="txpower on"

#some SSID-specific options for nets I know. On every other net dhcp is
#assumed
config_SSID1=( "192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
routes_SSID1=( "default via 192.168.2.1" )
dns_servers_SSID1=( "192.168.4.1" )
config_SSID2=( "dhcp" )
 
Old 06-17-2008, 02:03 PM
"Paul Melvin"
 
Default Wireless hidden association problem

Hi Florian,

Mine will not associate with the hidden ap, my files are below, please have
a look to see if I have missed anything as I would like to get this working

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
scan_ssid=1
ssid="ng6"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=WPA
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk="123456"
priority=2
}

/etc/conf.d/net

config_eth0=( "dhcp" )

config_eth1=( "dhcp" )
#iwconfig eth1 essid ng6
modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
wpa_supplicant_eth1="-Dwext"
wpa_timeout_eth1=60

how can I stop the wpa (just use a kill?) so that I can reload the settings
and if I use the -dd option should I be able to find out what is wrong?

thanks

paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Florian Philipp [mailto:lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net]
Sent: 17 June 2008 13:45
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless hidden association problem

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:07:31 +0100
"Paul Melvin" <paul@assured-networks.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Sergey,
>
> Thanks for that, since my question I have found that if I enter the
> iwconfig command into /etc/conf.d/net it does work; i.e.
>
> iwconfig eth1 essid name_of_ssid
>
> However I am not sure how this would work if I had a load of hidden
> ssids, if at all, and it does seem messy
>
> Is wpa_supplicant the best/only way to do this?
>
> Please can anyone tell me how this works in ubuntu as it does seem to
> and I would hope that I could replicate it
>
> Cheers
>
> paul
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sergey Kobzar [mailto:tod.zullu@gmail.com]
> Sent: 17 June 2008 11:55
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: [SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless hidden association problem
>
> Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 1:37:29 PM, Paul wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a dell laptop with intel wireless card (ipw2200) and am
> > trying to configure it to use WPA-PSK.
> >
> > I have setup up the card correctly utilizing the ipw2200 module,
> > wpa_supplicant and wireless_tools.
> >
> > If I use a broadcast ssid everything works, however if I turn off
> > the broadcast on the ap and do a debug of the wpa, it recognizes
> > that there is a hidden ssid but will not connect to it.
> >
> > I would rather use hidden ssids than not but how can I get it to
> > connect?
>
> I have similar problem with Cisco AP and Intel 3945, D-Link DWL-G500
> adapters under Gentoo/FreeBSD. Looks like it's wpa_supplicant
> permanent problem. Windows works fine.
>
> AFAIK there is no solution except using broadcasts.
>
>
> > Please can you also tell me a quick way to restart the interface to
> > make it go through all the negotiaton, as I have moved from ubuntu
> > where /etc/init.d/networking restart did it
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Paul
>

I use wpa_supplicant and it's working flawlessly with a hidden ssid and some
unhidden ones. Here is an excerpt from my wpa_supplicant.conf:

network={ <<<--normal net with wpa2 and visible ssid
ssid="..."
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="..."
}
network={ <<<--net with wep and hidden ssid
scan_ssid=1
ssid="..."
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key0=8346...
wep_tx_keyidx=0
}
eapol_version=1 <<<--some general options
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

I'm using iwl3945, by the way.

As far as Ubuntu goes, I think they use networkmanager which gives you a
nice gui but only marginal advantages over properly configured
wpa_supplicant and /etc/conf.d/net-files.

Here are some parts of my /etc/conf.d/net:

modules_eth1=( "wpa_supplicant" )
wpa_supplicant_eth1="-Dwext"
iwconfig_eth1="txpower on"

#some SSID-specific options for nets I know. On every other net dhcp is
#assumed config_SSID1=( "192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0" ) routes_SSID1=(
"default via 192.168.2.1" ) dns_servers_SSID1=( "192.168.4.1" )
config_SSID2=( "dhcp" )



__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature
database 3193 (20080617) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM
"Paul Sobey"
 
Default Wireless hidden association problem

> Is wpa_supplicant the best/only way to do this?
>
> Please can anyone tell me how this works in ubuntu as it does seem to and
> I
> would hope that I could replicate it

(K)ubuntu use NetworkManager. For what it's worth, I also use this on my
laptop, and it works very well, particularly when you're joining a lot of
unknown networks, e.g. wandering into coffee shops etc.. It only serves as
a front end to wpa_supplicant though, so if your machine isn't working
with that, you may still have troubles. KNetworkManager is hard masked in
portage btw.

Paul


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Wireless hidden association problem

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:40:05 +0100 (BST), Paul Sobey wrote:

> (K)ubuntu use NetworkManager. For what it's worth, I also use this on my
> laptop, and it works very well, particularly when you're joining a lot
> of unknown networks, e.g. wandering into coffee shops etc.. It only
> serves as a front end to wpa_supplicant though, so if your machine
> isn't working with that, you may still have troubles.

True, but it means you don't have to set up wpa_supplicant.conf.

> KNetworkManager is hard masked in portage btw.

No it's not, it is keyword masked. You can install it by adding
kde-misc/knetworkmanager to /etc/portage/package.keywords.


--
Neil Bothwick

JPEG (JPG)
Joint Photographic Experts Group. The original name of the
committee that designed the eponymous standard image compression
algorithm. Abbreviated to JPG by PPL WHO CNT TYP or WSE PCS ARE BKN.
 
Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Zhu Sha Zang
 
Default Wireless hidden association problem

To restart my wireless connection i make this:

First, configuring my rtl8185 on /etc/conf.d/net
Second, in /etc/init.d make a symbolic link where "ln -s net.lo net.wlan0"
Finally /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start|stop|restart works well.

Bye

Paul Melvin escreveu:
> Hi,
>
>
>
> I have a dell laptop with intel wireless card (ipw2200) and am trying to
> configure it to use WPA-PSK.
>
>
>
> I have setup up the card correctly utilizing the ipw2200 module,
> wpa_supplicant and wireless_tools.
>
>
>
> If I use a broadcast ssid everything works, however if I turn off the
> broadcast on the ap and do a debug of the wpa, it recognizes that there is a
> hidden ssid but will not connect to it.
>
>
>
> I would rather use hidden ssids than not but how can I get it to connect?
>
>
>
> Please can you also tell me a quick way to restart the interface to make it
> go through all the negotiaton, as I have moved from ubuntu where
> /etc/init.d/networking restart did it
>
>
>
> Cheers
>
>
>
> Paul
>
>


--
Zhu Sha Zang
Hyaku ne hayanda yo!


__________________________________________________ _____
Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
Experimente já e veja as novidades.
http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Florian Philipp
 
Default Wireless hidden association problem

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:03:44 +0100
"Paul Melvin" <paul@assured-networks.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Florian,
>
> Mine will not associate with the hidden ap, my files are below,
> please have a look to see if I have missed anything as I would like
> to get this working
>
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
>
> network={
> scan_ssid=1
> ssid="ng6"
> key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> proto=WPA
> pairwise=CCMP TKIP
> group=CCMP TKIP
> psk="123456"
> priority=2
> }
>
> /etc/conf.d/net
>
> config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
>
> config_eth1=( "dhcp" )
> #iwconfig eth1 essid ng6
> modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
> wpa_supplicant_eth1="-Dwext"
> wpa_timeout_eth1=60
>
> how can I stop the wpa (just use a kill?) so that I can reload the
> settings and if I use the -dd option should I be able to find out
> what is wrong?
>
> thanks
>
> paul
>

Hi!

At first, please don't top-post, e.g. write your answers below the
quotations. That makes it easier to follow threads.

Concerning your wpa_supplicant.conf: I would comment out any
unnecessary settings, for example proto, pairwise and group.
Wpa_supplicant can figure this out by itself. That lowers the risk of
doing any human errors.
Second, did you copy my general options which were not connected to a
specific network? I think the ap_scan-option is crucial but I'm not
sure. Just use them all as I do.

Concerning the way you can stop wpa_supplicant: If you just started it
manually from console, a simple "killall wpa_supplicant" should be
enough. If you started it by init-script (e.g. "/etc/init.d/net.eth1
start") or automatically at system-start, then you stop it
with "/etc/init.d/net.eth1 stop".

To start wpa_supplicant with much output, run:
wpa_supplicant -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -d
(or -dd if you don't see anything supsicious).
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org