Old 06-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Joshua D Doll

Default Ati or Nvida

Hal Martin wrote:

James wrote:

Platoali <platoali <at> gmail.com> writes:

I want to know, what is the current status of ATI drivers in Linux?
Does the problems have been solved? Can they compete with Nvidia?

Just a suggestion, wait about a month before you buy, if you can. Both
ATi and nVidia are poised to release new generations of cards, both
which outperform their predecessors at a lower price point.
All religious questions, imho. Nvidia might have the latest edge in
pure performance, but, the movement to open up sources is definitely

an opportunity for a game changing situation, imho.

nVidia user here, I haven't had any problems with their drivers. Sure,
there's the occasional version with a memory leak, etc... and when
that happens I just downgrade to the last stable version and wait for
a better one to come out.

And I want to know which one is better supported in Linux kernel
regardless of how much open/free the drivers is. I'm currently
thinking between Nvidia Quadro fx 1700 and Ati firegl 5600. Does
anyone have any comment about them?

Again, I haven't had any difficulties with the nVidia drivers. I'm
running a GeForce 7900GTX, which uses the same linux driver as the
Quadro does.

kernel newbies has some information for you to start your research:
Section 3 DRIVERS:
Section 3.1 Graphics:
http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges#head-d08660c208028aa2b3783826cd7935ab510b736f

You might also use this page for comparison purposes:

http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stability-test/benchmark-results.html

Personally, I like ATI, but it more because I believe that
AMD will come closer to doing what's best for opensource
rather than Nvidia or Intel. It would be great if I'm wrong....

Doesn't Intel contribute drivers and code to very many F/OSS projects
including the kernel and Xorg?

--Joshua Doll

Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-06-17, Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:

> Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> a écrit:
>
>> Definitely nVidia. Over the past few years I've had a 3-4 of
>> each (ATI and nVidia).
>
> But now, it's not the same context. ATI specs are known and open source
> drivers coming.

I'll believe it when I see it.

> It's definitely different of the "past few years".

I doubt it.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hold the MAYO & pass
at the COSMIC AWARENESS...

Old 06-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Mark Kirkwood