Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Iain Buchanan

Default claws mail question

I am trying out claws, and so far it looks pretty good, but as you may
be able to see, I'm still using evo There is (so far) only one thing
that lets claws down, hopefully someone can show me how to do it:

Virtual folders. Because I have thousands of messages at work and at
home, and I frequently need to find messages from months or even a
couple of years ago for contractual reasons, I heavily use virtual
search folders in evolution.

It's essentially the claws "search folder" option, but the results are
put in a new folder. The differences are:
1. Results are kept across program restarts - no need to enter the
search terms every time
2. Results are placed by themselves - not interspersed with all
other messages in the original folder
3. Results are updated on the fly - as soon as a message is
changed / arrives in the original folder, it appears in the
virtual folder
4. Changes to the message in the virtual folder (delete, mark, etc)
apply to the real message
5. Works with _any_ selection of real folders (imap, pop, whatever
you have)

Is there anything that can do this? I found "matrix", but it doesn't do
3, 4, or 5 (only works on maildir, not imap). I can't find anything
else...

TIA,

A successful [software] tool is one that was used to do something
undreamed of by its author.
-- S. C. Johnson

Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 AM

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:20:27 +0930
Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> I heavily use virtual search folders in evolution.
>
> It's essentially the claws "search folder" option, but the results are
> put in a new folder.

I think the closest thing Claws has to what you want is its tags
feature. You can create filtering or processing rules to tag the
messages.

> The differences are:
> 1. Results are kept across program restarts - no need to enter
> the search terms every time

The tags will remain across restarts.

> 2. Results are placed by themselves - not interspersed with all
> other messages in the original folder

With tags, the messages are only in the original folder, but it's quick
to see only the messages with a particular tag by using the search box,
by default in between the message list and the message viewer.

> 3. Results are updated on the fly - as soon as a message is
> changed / arrives in the original folder, it appears in the
> virtual folder

With filtering, the tags would be applied as messages arrive. I'm not
sure how to make something happen when a message changes, except to
manually force re-filtering or re-processing.

> 4. Changes to the message in the virtual folder (delete, mark,
> etc) apply to the real message
> 5. Works with _any_ selection of real folders (imap, pop,
> whatever you have)

I think the tags will work with any kind of message, but I only have
IMAP and NNTP configured.

> Is there anything that can do this? I found "matrix", but it doesn't
> do 3, 4, or 5 (only works on maildir, not imap). I can't find
> anything else...

Tags may be more flexible than I've described (I'm no Claws guru) or
there may be better ways to do something like what you want. If you
don't get quite what you want here, the Claws Mail ml is pretty good,
<http://www.claws-mail.org/MLs.php?section=community>.

Kleeneness is next to Gdelness.