I've attempted to upgrade a Xen box from 3.1.2 to 3.2.1. Unfortunately
it has been a partial success only. At this point I'm really stuck
with a network problem that affects my HVM machines (Linux PV run
The really odd thing is that everything seems to work properly, except
that the "vif" network interfaces in dom0 seem to have only dropped TX
packets for the HVM domains and 0 RX packets. It seems like something
is broken in the network communication path between the HVM domain and
A second change I made was to use Gentoo for configuration of the
bridge device, rather than the network-bridge script. I did this
already for some other bridges, but these don't have any HVM domains
Also, ipvs (linux virtual server) doesn't seem to work. Although I
cannot yet claim this is caused by the upgrade, it seems likely. Xen was
te only change made before I broke that functionality.
Every configuration, I expect you should know is, I hope, included below:
Anyone know/guessing what's going wrong?
Is there any known problem?
How can I solve this?
How can I diagnose this?
Unfortunally I need my services and I restored my previous backup, so I
don't really have a box handy any more to try out these things.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz (clocked at 2.0 GHz)
Intel PRO/1000 NIC (eth0)
Realtek RTL8168b/8111b (eth1)
Gentoo 2007, Xen 3.2.1. 64-bit
(XEN) Xen version 3.2.1 (firstname.lastname@example.org) (gcc version 3.4.6
(Gentoo Hardened 3.4.6-r2 p1.5, ssp-3.4.6-1.0, pie-8.7.10)) Sun Jun 15
19:54:30 CEST 2008
Gentoo 2007 Linux. 64-bit
Linux version 2.6.20-xen-r6 (root@susa) (gcc version 3.4.6 (Gentoo
Hardened 3.4.6-r2 p1.5, ssp-3.4.6-1.0, pie-8.7.10)) #15 SMP Tue Jan 22
17:12:46 CET 2008
(This version was working perfectly in combination with Xen 3.1.2)
Windows Server 2003 SP2, 32-bit
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake, 32-bit