Old 06-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Joris Dobbelsteen

Default Restore Gentoo, portage not consistent with actually installed

Dear,

I have yet again tried to upgrade my Xen software to a later version,
which almost worked fine. Since I needed it fully working I have
restored my original installation. Basically this is just using
xfsrestore for / (root), dd to restore /boot. However I have left
/usr/portage alone, as I considered it volatile (restorable with emerge
--sync).

However at this point portage does not seem to know what is actually
installed and what is no longer available.

For example:
equery -i list | grep xen
app-emulation/xen-3.1.2
app-emulation/xen-3.2.1
app-emulation/xen-tools-3.1.2
app-emulation/xen-tools-3.2.1
sys-kernel/xen-sources-2.6.20-r6
sys-kernel/xen-sources-2.6.21

It seems that xfsrestore doesn't remove all existing files, but rather
overwrites portions. How do I clean up my system again, as the state is
rather corrupted at this point?

Before I forgot to ask, is there a LiveCD that actually includes
xfsrestore? I'm missing it on the gentoo 2007 install CD.

- Joris