Old 06-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Simon Jolle sjolle

Default Portage, RPM or DPKG: number of packaged software comparison

Hi Gentoo users

I am just curious which distribution have the most packaged Open Source
software. It seems to me this is Gentoo. Is there a good comparison
(numbers, statistics, etc)?

cheers
Simon

Old 06-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:27:39 +0200, Simon Jolle sjolle wrote:

> I am just curious which distribution have the most packaged Open Source
> software. It seems to me this is Gentoo. Is there a good comparison
> (numbers, statistics, etc)?

How would you measure it? Number of packages wouldn't work, because
distros split up packages differently.

--
Neil Bothwick

Gravity isn't MY fault! I voted for VELCRO!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Simon Jolle sjolle

On 06/15/2008 08:55 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> How would you measure it? Number of packages wouldn't work, because
> distros split up packages differently.

Most accurate would be number of upstream projects

cheers
Simon

Old 06-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 21:12:02 +0200, Simon Jolle sjolle wrote:

> > How would you measure it? Number of packages wouldn't work, because
> > distros split up packages differently.
>
> Most accurate would be number of upstream projects

Yes it would, but calculating it would be a fair old task.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Open the disk drive door, Hal."

Old 06-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Simon Jolle sjolle

Hi Debian users

I am just curious which distribution have the most packaged Open Source
software. It seems to me this is Debian? Is there a good comparison
(numbers, statistics, etc)?

cheers
Simon

Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Paul Johnson

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:58 +0200, Simon Jolle sjolle wrote:

> I am just curious which distribution have the most packaged Open Source
> software. It seems to me this is Debian? Is there a good comparison
> (numbers, statistics, etc)?

Debian, by a long shot. 26,000 packages. Next closest competitor
(Ubuntu) has 23,000. Most (all?) of the RPM-based distributions are
below 10,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions#Features

This isn't really much surprise, though. RPM distributions have been
rather incomplete compared to the Debian ones for over a decade now.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 06-17-2008, 05:09 PM
John Hasler

Simon writes:
> I am just curious which distribution have the most packaged Open Source
> software.

That's hard to say. Debian probably has the most packages, but Debian
packages are also more "fine grained" than many: Debian packages seperately
pieces of software that others clump together. Probably the best statistic
for this comparison, depending on your purpose, would be total number of
lines of source code.
--
John Hasler

Old 06-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Simon Jolle sjolle

Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:09:43 +0200, Simon Jolle sjolle wrote:

> Debian, by a long shot. 26,000 packages. Next closest competitor
> (Ubuntu) has 23,000.

Both of those split many packages into a two, with the headers in a
separate -devel package. One of the reasons why such comparisons do
little more than justify Oscar Wilde's view of statistics.

--
Neil Bothwick

Did you hear about the blind prostitute? You have to hand it to her.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Tuesday 17 June 2008, 19:09, Simon Jolle sjolle wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:58 +0200, Simon Jolle sjolle wrote:
> > I am just curious which distribution have the most packaged Open
> > Source software. It seems to me this is Debian? Is there a good
> > comparison (numbers, statistics, etc)?

If you want numbers, albeit some very very approximate and unreliable
ones, see this thread:

http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=120559610322950&w=2

Do NOT take those figures too seriously.