Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 PM
"pat"

Default disks order

Hello,

Is it possible to define disk order for the USB disks? For example I have
external disk A and external disk B and I want to bundle disk A always with
/dev/sdd and disk B always with /dev/sde.

Thanks a lot

Pat

Old 06-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Sonntag, 15. Juni 2008 schrieb pat:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to define disk order for the USB disks? For example I have
> external disk A and external disk B and I want to bundle disk A always with
> /dev/sdd and disk B always with /dev/sde.

You can use udev to give them any names you like, see
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

HTH...

Dirk

Old 06-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Justin

Dirk Heinrichs schrieb:

Is it possible to define disk order for the USB disks? For example I have
external disk A and external disk B and I want to bundle disk A always with
/dev/sdd and disk B always with /dev/sde.

You can use udev to give them any names you like, see
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

HTH...

Dirk

You can also use the UUID to mount it, which let you distinguish between
the different usb devices.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Sonntag, 15. Juni 2008 schrieb Justin:
> Dirk Heinrichs schrieb:
> > Am Sonntag, 15. Juni 2008 schrieb pat:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Is it possible to define disk order for the USB disks? For example I
> >> have external disk A and external disk B and I want to bundle disk A
> >> always with /dev/sdd and disk B always with /dev/sde.
> >
> > You can use udev to give them any names you like, see
> > http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
>
> You can also use the UUID to mount it, which let you distinguish between
> the different usb devices.

I always find it easier to remember names I have chosen myself, instead of
some 40 char long random string. Additionally, the UUID is the one of the
filesystem, which may change over time.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 06-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:51:23 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> > You can also use the UUID to mount it, which let you distinguish
> > between the different usb devices.
>
> I always find it easier to remember names I have chosen myself, instead
> of some 40 char long random string. Additionally, the UUID is the one
> of the filesystem, which may change over time.

I'd go with udev rules, but if you can't be bothered, filesystem labels
are a lot more intuitive than UUIDs.

--
Neil Bothwick

The program is absolutely right; therefore, the computer must be wrong.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:35 PM
"pat"

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:41:29 +0200, Justin wrote
> Dirk Heinrichs schrieb:
> > Am Sonntag, 15. Juni 2008 schrieb pat:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Is it possible to define disk order for the USB disks? For example I have
> >> external disk A and external disk B and I want to bundle disk A always with
> >> /dev/sdd and disk B always with /dev/sde.
> >>

> > You can use udev to give them any names you like, see
> > http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
> >
> > HTH...
> >
> > Dirk
> >
> You can also use the UUID to mount it, which let you distinguish
> between the different usb devices.

So, if I use Hitachi disk in box and Seagate disk in box, I'll be able to
define their order in both ways? (udev and UUID).

Thanks a lot

Pat

Old 06-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Nicolas Sebrecht

"pat" <pat@xvalheru.org> a écrit:

> So, if I use Hitachi disk in box and Seagate disk in box, I'll be
> able to define their order in both ways? (udev and UUID).

Define the order is not the real problem. The problem is to be able to
mount the file-systems to the correct mount points. Both ways can do
that.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 06-16-2008, 06:03 AM
"pat"

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 00:51:26 +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote
> "pat" <pat@xvalheru.org> a écrit:
>
> > So, if I use Hitachi disk in box and Seagate disk in box, I'll be
> > able to define their order in both ways? (udev and UUID).
>
> Define the order is not the real problem. The problem is to be able
> to mount the file-systems to the correct mount points. Both ways can
> do that.
>
> --
> Nicolas Sebrecht

Thanks to all.

Pat

Old 06-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Justin

pat schrieb:

Hello,

Is it possible to define disk order for the USB disks? For example I have
external disk A and external disk B and I want to bundle disk A always with
/dev/sdd and disk B always with /dev/sde.

Thanks a lot

Pat

I hit this today
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mass_Storage#Add_a_symbolic_link_with_UDEV