Old 06-12-2008, 02:37 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Huh? Can't find a KDE volume control

Okay, it's early and I'm feeling stupid.* But with all the KDE packages, I can't find one that actually controls the sound volume.
Usually, I like to have the sound on but when I'm playing games it's sometimes just too much noise.

I've looked in the KDE control center, and can't find anything that does the job.* Presumably I haven't emerged the crucial
thing.* I do have arts emerged, and in my USE flags, or my KDE games would be mute.

What do you all like to use?
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 06-12-2008, 02:42 PM
"Espen Hustad"

2008/6/12 Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com>:
> Okay, it's early and I'm feeling stupid. But with all the KDE packages, I
> can't find one that actually controls the sound volume.
> Usually, I like to have the sound on but when I'm playing games it's
> sometimes just too much noise.
>
> I've looked in the KDE control center, and can't find anything that does the
> job. Presumably I haven't emerged the crucial
> thing. I do have arts emerged, and in my USE flags, or my KDE games would
> be mute.
>
> What do you all like to use?

I think kde-base/kmix is the package you are looking for.

--
Espen

Old 06-12-2008, 02:42 PM
"Dirk Uys"

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, it's early and I'm feeling stupid. But with all the KDE packages, I
> can't find one that actually controls the sound volume.
> Usually, I like to have the sound on but when I'm playing games it's
> sometimes just too much noise.
>
> I've looked in the KDE control center, and can't find anything that does the
> job. Presumably I haven't emerged the crucial
> thing. I do have arts emerged, and in my USE flags, or my KDE games would
> be mute.
>
> What do you all like to use?
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Try kmix. You emerge it separately. Then just lunch it and you're set.

Regards
Dirk

Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Okay, it's early and I'm feeling stupid. But with all the KDE
> packages, I can't find one that actually controls the sound volume.
> Usually, I like to have the sound on but when I'm playing games it's
> sometimes just too much noise.
>
> I've looked in the KDE control center, and can't find anything that
> does the job. Presumably I haven't emerged the crucial
> thing. I do have arts emerged, and in my USE flags, or my KDE games
> would be mute.
>
> What do you all like to use?

alsamixer for the more "involved" stuff :-)

A gkrellm module is my day2day control and if I really want a KDE
control, there's kmix

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, it's early and I'm feeling stupid. *But with all the KDE packages, I

> can't find one that actually controls the sound volume.

> Usually, I like to have the sound on but when I'm playing games it's

> sometimes just too much noise.

> I've looked in the KDE control center, and can't find anything that does the

> job. *Presumably I haven't emerged the crucial

> thing. *I do have arts emerged, and in my USE flags, or my KDE games would

> be mute.

> What do you all like to use?

> --

> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Try kmix. You emerge it separately. Then just lunch it and you're set.

Regards

Dirk

Okay, thanks .* But I just did that and it has no discernable effect on the game sounds from, for instance,
konquest or* kmahjongg.

For that matter, neither does setting the Master control to zero on alsamixer.

There must be something else I don't understand.* (there's always something!)

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 06-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Okay, thanks . *But I just did that and it has no discernable effect
> on the game sounds from, for instance,
> konquest or *kmahjongg.
>
> For that matter, neither does setting the Master control to zero on
> alsamixer.
>
> There must be something else I don't understand. *(there's always
> something!)

Did you run alsaconf to set things up, and is the correct module for
your sound card loaded?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> Okay, thanks . *But I just did that and it has no discernable effect

> on the game sounds from, for instance,

> konquest or *kmahjongg.

> For that matter, neither does setting the Master control to zero on

> alsamixer.

> There must be something else I don't understand. *(there's always

> something!)

Did you run alsaconf to set things up, and is the correct module for

your sound card loaded?

I'm a bit vague about setup (it was years ago), but I just ran alsaconf to see the startup window, and it looked familiar.** But even running that much shut down the whole sound system, so I ran the whole thing.* Now I'm

having trouble getting any sound at all...

The modules loaded seem right: a slew of EMU10K1 things.

I guess I'll reboot and see what happens.

++ kevin

--

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> Okay, thanks . *But I just did that and it has no discernable effect

> on the game sounds from, for instance,

> konquest or *kmahjongg.

> For that matter, neither does setting the Master control to zero on

> alsamixer.

> There must be something else I don't understand. *(there's always

> something!)

Did you run alsaconf to set things up, and is the correct module for

your sound card loaded?

I'm a bit vague about setup (it was years ago), but I just ran alsaconf to see the startup window, and it looked familiar.** But even running that much shut down the whole sound system, so I ran the whole thing.* Now I'm

having trouble getting any sound at all...

The modules loaded seem right: a slew of EMU10K1 things.

I guess I'll reboot and see what happens.

++ kevin
Well, it wasn't quite that bad.* Just restarting X got back my sounds.* All of them.* Including the game

sounds, whether or not I mute output in kmix.* Hmph.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 06-12-2008, 05:35 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> Okay, thanks . *But I just did that and it has no discernable effect

> on the game sounds from, for instance,

> konquest or *kmahjongg.

> For that matter, neither does setting the Master control to zero on

> alsamixer.

> There must be something else I don't understand. *(there's always

> something!)

Did you run alsaconf to set things up, and is the correct module for

your sound card loaded?

I'm a bit vague about setup (it was years ago), but I just ran alsaconf to see the startup window, and it looked familiar.** But even running that much shut down the whole sound system, so I ran the whole thing.* Now I'm

having trouble getting any sound at all...

The modules loaded seem right: a slew of EMU10K1 things.

I guess I'll reboot and see what happens.

++ kevin

Well, it wasn't quite that bad.* Just restarting X got back my sounds.* All of them.* Including the game

sounds, whether or not I mute output in kmix.* Hmph.*
Okay, so I got mad and just shut down all the kmix sliders.* That finally shut it up.* What's really unexpected
is that I get "normal" (to my low-functioning ears) sound just by turning on "wave surround".* With everything

else muted and all other sliders at the bottom.

It appears only one control actually does anything.* Double Hmph.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD