Old 06-13-2008, 01:16 AM
David Relson

Default vmware problem

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:23:51 +0930
Iain Buchanan wrote:

> David - at this point I'd try a couple of things. Since you've
> upgraded your linux-headers, it's a good idea to recompile your
> system libc, as per the elog message.
>
> Also, since you're getting version error messages, recompile your
> kernel and reboot into it. Just to make sure, as you've just done
> headers and libc (may be a long shot, but may as well rule it out).
>
> Then unload all vm* modules and recompile them also. (Say no to all
> vmware-config questions first, then second time around say yes!). If
> it doesn't work, downgrade to a previous version of modules and try
> them. I use vmware-modules-1.0.0.11-r1 because that's the only
> version that works with workstation 4, which I have a license for.
>
> Finally, if this all still fails, try with an earlier kernel and see
> if it magically works. Then you know it's probably a new kernal
> feature thats bugging you!
>
> I hope you have a few spare clock cycles for all this compiling

Hi Iain,

I've been using 'uname -r' and its reporting '2.6.25-gentoo-r4' matches
the module path, i.e. /lib/modules/2.6.25-gentoo-r4/misc/vmnet.ko, in
the "invalid module" message. I'm as certain as can be that there's no
mismatch here.

Also, I've removed all vm* packages and reinstalled vmware-server (and
whatever it pulls in, i.e. vmware-modules). This was done after
removing all vmware entries from /etc/portage/package*, so the vm*
packages are all stable versions -- no ~amd64 versions.

Haven't tried rebuilding glibc ...

Instead I've installed the latest stable amd64 versions of 2.6.24
sources and headers. The kernel is now being built. I should know
before too long whether this helps.

Another possibility not yet tried is to disable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS.

That's it for now...

Regards,

David

Old 06-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 21:16 -0400, David Relson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:23:51 +0930
> Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> > David - at this point I'd try a couple of things. Since you've
> > upgraded your linux-headers, it's a good idea to recompile your
> > system libc, as per the elog message.
> >
> > Also, since you're getting version error messages, recompile your
> > kernel and reboot into it. Just to make sure, as you've just done
> > headers and libc (may be a long shot, but may as well rule it out).
> >
> > Then unload all vm* modules and recompile them also. (Say no to all
> > vmware-config questions first, then second time around say yes!). If
> > it doesn't work, downgrade to a previous version of modules and try
> > them. I use vmware-modules-1.0.0.11-r1 because that's the only
> > version that works with workstation 4, which I have a license for.
> >
> > Finally, if this all still fails, try with an earlier kernel and see
> > if it magically works. Then you know it's probably a new kernal
> > feature thats bugging you!
> >
> > I hope you have a few spare clock cycles for all this compiling
>
> Hi Iain,
>
> I've been using 'uname -r' and its reporting '2.6.25-gentoo-r4' matches
> the module path, i.e. /lib/modules/2.6.25-gentoo-r4/misc/vmnet.ko, in
> the "invalid module" message. I'm as certain as can be that there's no
> mismatch here.

don't be so sure! Do you know that you won't get the same message if,
for example, you used different compilers for the kernel and the module?
In my experience, this message can appear when the actual kernel number
is ok, but it's been compiled differently...

> Also, I've removed all vm* packages and reinstalled vmware-server (and
> whatever it pulls in, i.e. vmware-modules). This was done after
> removing all vmware entries from /etc/portage/package*, so the vm*
> packages are all stable versions -- no ~amd64 versions.
>
> Haven't tried rebuilding glibc ...
>
> Instead I've installed the latest stable amd64 versions of 2.6.24
> sources and headers. The kernel is now being built. I should know
> before too long whether this helps.

good! Let's see what happens...

> Another possibility not yet tried is to disable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS.
>
> That's it for now...
>
> Regards,
>
> David

Let me assure you that to us here at First National, you're not just a
number. Youre two numbers, a dash, three more numbers, another dash and
another number.
-- James Estes

Old 11-10-2008, 03:45 AM
homayoon taheri

Hi

How can I solve the problem of VMware 6.0.x installation on ubuntu 810?

It encountered some compiling or Kernel header mismatch problem when I
tried to install vmware either via vmware-distrib/vmware-instal.pl or by
creating deb packages using make-vmpkg toolkit.

The vmware-any-any has this problem also.

thanks for your help
homayoon

Old 11-11-2008, 12:24 AM
"Matías Magni"

That's a frequent problem my friend, it use to happen when you do a
kernel upgrade. The solution is to install the most recent vmware
version, if you have the workstation version and it's a cracked
version the problem will be more difficult to solve. I recommend you
to install the vmware server version which is completely free.
Download the last version. Luck with that!

--
Matías Magni