Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default tuning ./configure parameters via emerge

On Monday 09 June 2008, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to compile a soft by passing some available options
> to ./configure.
>
> I'm currently pretty sure I have to build my own ebuild. I don't
> enjoy because of further maintenance.
>
> Is there any way to do it with the classical emerge program ?

man 5 ebuild

Search for EXTRA_ECONF

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> a écrit:

> man 5 ebuild
>
> Search for EXTRA_ECONF

Thanks Alan for your answer.

I didn't know that. If I can use it as a replacement for the "make
ebuild" solution, I don't think I can make it permanent (I mean like
package.use for choices about useflags).

The idea is to have $EXTRA_ECONF value relevant to next updates.

Is it possible to do that ?

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Justin Findlay

On AD 2008 June 10 Tuesday 02:12:10 AM +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> I didn't know that. If I can use it as a replacement for the "make
> ebuild" solution, I don't think I can make it permanent (I mean like
> package.use for choices about useflags).
>
> The idea is to have $EXTRA_ECONF value relevant to next updates.
>
> Is it possible to do that ?

You probably just need to set it in your /etc/make.conf. make.conf is
just a bunch of bash variables anyway.

Justin

Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

Justin Findlay <justin@jfindlay.us> a écrit:

> You probably just need to set it in your /etc/make.conf. make.conf is
> just a bunch of bash variables anyway.

Hmmm. If I do that, it will be applied to all ebuilds.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> a écrit:

> Hmmm. If I do that, it will be applied to all ebuilds.

Or not applied at all. As far as I know make.conf isn't "dumped
sourced" by the shell (nor by emerge).

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Justin

Nicolas Sebrecht schrieb:

Justin Findlay <justin@jfindlay.us> a écrit:

You probably just need to set it in your /etc/make.conf. make.conf is
just a bunch of bash variables anyway.

Hmmm. If I do that, it will be applied to all ebuilds.

You can set it in /etc/portage/env/<cat>/<pkg>. There you set every
variable portage knows and overwrite the default value. I always use
this to use package specific CFLAGS, FFLAGS, fortran compiler and else.
If it doesn't work directly try to set an export in front. For some
strange reason, this has to be done in many cases for switching the F77
variable.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

Justin <justin@j-schmitz.net> a écrit:

> You can set it in /etc/portage/env/<cat>/<pkg>.

Thank you. It works good. Is it documented somewhere ?

> There you set every
> variable portage knows and overwrite the default value. I always use
> this to use package specific CFLAGS, FFLAGS, fortran compiler and
> else. If it doesn't work directly try to set an export in front. For
> some strange reason, this has to be done in many cases for switching
> the F77 variable.

Ok.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Justin

Nicolas Sebrecht schrieb:

Justin <justin@j-schmitz.net> a écrit:

You can set it in /etc/portage/env/<cat>/<pkg>.

Thank you. It works good. Is it documented somewhere ?

It must (because I found it), but as far as I remember it wasn't a good doc.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> a écrit:

> man 5 ebuild
>
> Search for EXTRA_ECONF

I have a new question then. Let's take an example:
An ebuild has this line "econf --configure-option=foo" and my
EXTRA_ECONF is set to "--configure-option=bar".

Is the issue actually known and would it be the same all the time ?
The used option will be "foo" or "bar" ?

portage seems to not deal with this case. I'm afraid of what it could
happen if it's depending on the configure script.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Justin

Nicolas Sebrecht schrieb:

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> a écrit:

man 5 ebuild

Search for EXTRA_ECONF

I have a new question then. Let's take an example:
An ebuild has this line "econf --configure-option=foo" and my
EXTRA_ECONF is set to "--configure-option=bar".

Is the issue actually known and would it be the same all the time ?
The used option will be "foo" or "bar" ?

I would think, that the command is "econf --configure-option=bar
--configure-option=foo".

econf does:

configure --prefix=/usr
--host=${CHOST}
--mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info
--datadir=/usr/share
--sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var/lib
"$@"
${LOCAL_EXTRA_ECONF}

Where ${LOCAL_EXTRA_ECONF} is your ${EXTRA_ECONF} plus some more
settings and $@ is "--configure-option=foo".