Old 12-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Statux

Default esound refuses to compile with docbook error even though -doc is specified

[snip]

> Making all in docs
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/esound-0.2.38-r1/work/esound-0.2.38/docs'
> jw -f docbook -b html -o html ./esound.sgml
> Using catalogs: /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-3.1.cat
> Using stylesheet: /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.14/docbook-utils.dsl#html
> Working on: /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/esound-0.2.38-r1/work/esound-0.2.38/docs/./esound.sgml
> jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-3.1/dbcent.mod:53:65:W: cannot
> generate system identifier for public text "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES
> Added Math Symbols: Arrow Relations//EN"
> jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-3.1/dbcent.mod:54:8:E: reference
> to entity "ISOamsa" for which no system identifier could be generated
> jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-3.1/dbcent.mod:52:0: entity was
> defined here
>

> This has been happening to me for quite some time, I haven't been able
> to finish updating gnome because of this.

The problem happens on Gentoo systems of a certain age and older. It
happened here and not on a newer install on another box. I immediately
traced it to somewhere in the docbook suite. Personally, what I did was
I removed everything docbook, essentially, figuring that something was
conflicting.

# emerge --unmerge docbook-sgml-utils docbook-xml-simple-dtd
docbook-xml-dtd docbook-sgml-dtd sgml-common SGMLSpm docbook-sgml
docbook-dsssl-stylesheets build-docbook-catalog

This removed all versions of these packages, obviously. At this point,
esound built because it noticed the lack of docbook and it's
documentation went together in a different fashion, which is where the
ebuild was getting hung up. However, things will be needing docbook
eventually, so this is what I ended up doing:

# emerge build-docbook-catalog docbook-sgml

This installed 14 packages for me, all relating to docbook. I redid the
emerge on esound and it was also successful. So all I really did was
clean up docbook. When I update, I use "emerge -uD world" so if I'm
missing something with docbook in the future, then it'll get corrected
as needed.

I sat on this issue for a while, too. I don't like to go in and do
sizable sandblasting like this if I don't have to but when it comes to
slotted packages like parts of docbook, sometimes it's necessary as
demonstrated in this case.

Hope that works for you.

--
Statux <statux@optonline.net>