Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Wolfgang Liebich

Default SOLVED: Sudden problems with NIS logins

Hi,
Wolfgang Liebich schrieb:

Hi,
I'm running a linux system at work, which is member in a NIS domain.
My username is local, the others are on the NIS server (home dirs are
distributed around the cluster).
Now I suddenly detected that users whose login data are on the NIS
server cannot login anymore! I suspect somehow that the upgrade to pam
0.99 and the disappearance of the "nis" USE flag.
It's rather bad form to answer one's own posts, BUT the REAL cause of
the problem was something very different:
- On the Solaris boxen which comprise the rest of our NIS cluster, the
login shell of the users is /usr/bin/bash

- On my linux box it's /bin/bash
- I've added a symlink from /usr/bin/bash to /bin/bash
NOT DONE: add /usr/bin/bash to /etc/shells

Moral of the story:
- Always check the FULL pam stack for possible problems -
"authentification failed" does NOT mean just "authentification failed" :-/

Ciao,
Wolfgang