Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Wolfgang Liebich

Default Sudden problems with NIS logins

Hi,
I'm running a linux system at work, which is member in a NIS domain. My
username is local, the others are on the NIS server (home dirs are
distributed around the cluster).
Now I suddenly detected that users whose login data are on the NIS
server cannot login anymore! I suspect somehow that the upgrade to pam
0.99 and the disappearance of the "nis" USE flag.

My nsswitch.conf looks like:
passwd: compat nis
shadow: compat nis
group: compat nis

hosts: files dns
networks: files dns

services: db files
protocols: db files
rpc: db files
ethers: db files
netmasks: files
netgroup: files
bootparams: files

automount: files
aliases: files

(only pwd and group info are distributed by nis)

my /etc/pam.d/system-auth looks so:

auth required pam_env.so
auth sufficient pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok audit
nis debug

auth required pam_deny.so

account required pam_unix.so

password sufficient pam_unix.so try_first_pass nullok md5 shadow
audit nis debug

password required pam_deny.so

session required pam_limits.so
session required pam_unix.so audit nis debug

(I also tried without the audit, nis and debug parameters to pam_unix.so
- they were added now for trouble shooting - didn't see a difference,
though).

What am I missing here??
- wolfgang