Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Thomas Pedersen

Default Harddisk priority

Hey

I'm running a few processes in a cron-job, which makes the harddisk
quiet busy, like the emerge --sync command.
I know it's possible to nice them to use less CPU power, but is there a
similar approach for reading/writing to the disk?

Thanks

Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 10:53:12AM +0200, Thomas Pedersen wrote:
> I'm running a few processes in a cron-job, which makes the harddisk quiet
> busy, like the emerge --sync command.
> I know it's possible to nice them to use less CPU power, but is there a
> similar approach for reading/writing to the disk?

I heard of tool called ionice, which does exactly this. AFAIK it needs a
kernel patch.

--
BOFH Excuse #430:

Mouse has out-of-cheese-error