Old 06-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Teng Wang

Default vixie cron

Hi there,

I am using vixie cron to maintain my scheduled
jobs. Everything is just fine other than one. I find that
when I use, for example, 0 * * * * /usr/bin/eix-sync to
update the portage everyday, the cron works without any
problem. But I was told by manpage I could still use @daily
instead. So I tried but failed. The system does nothing at
all. It is not a big issue, but I just want to make
sure it has nothing to do with my setting. Furthermore, I
still want to start some program like fetchmail after
reboot. Then I put @reboot in crontab. I also tried, and
failed. Does anybody have any idea about this?

Best,
--
Teng Wang

Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM
"Mark Shields"

I am using vixie cron to maintain my scheduled

jobs. Everything is just fine other than one. I find that

when I use, for example, 0 * * * * */usr/bin/eix-sync to

update the portage everyday, the cron works without any

problem. But I was told by manpage I could still use @daily

instead. So I tried but failed. The system does nothing at

all. It is not a big issue, but I just want to make

sure it has nothing to do with my setting. Furthermore, I

still want to start some program like fetchmail after

reboot. Then I put @reboot in crontab. I also tried, and

failed. Does anybody have any idea about this?

Best,

--

Teng Wang

There should be a single text file in /etc/cron.daily/ with the command you want to run daily.** Like this:

$ cat /etc/cron.daily/esync
/usr/bin/esync

You also may need to make the file executable, so chmod +x /etc/cron.daily/esync.* Mine syncs daily with this command.

--
- Mark Shields

Old 06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Teng Wang

Hi,

Thank you very much. But how I can use @reboot? It
might be good if I just run fetchmail once after rebooting.
--
Wish you well!
Teng Wang

Old 06-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Teng Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much. But how I can use @reboot? It
> might be good if I just run fetchmail once after rebooting.

I don't understand your question, the man page clearly tells you how to
use it:

Replace the first five columns in a crontab file with '@reboot' and cron
will run the command once when it starts up. So, do make sure that the
command actually runs - maybe you are making one of the many classic
cron errors and your script is faulty, not cron. Maybe you have an
older version of cron that doesn't support @reboot and are reading a
newer man page.

If this all checks out OK and it still doesn't work, then cron is not
behaving the way it's own documentation says it should, this is a bug
and should be reported to the cron developers

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Peter Ruskin

On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Teng Wang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thank you very much. But how I can use @reboot? It
> > might be good if I just run fetchmail once after rebooting.

If that's all you want to do, you can add something like the
following to /etc/conf.d/local.start (which runs once after a
reboot):

date|mail -s 'I just rebooted!' user@host

--
Peter