Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Jonathan Fosburgh

Default wpa_supplicant confusion

On Friday 06 June 2008 12:15:11 Mick wrote:

> Within the next few seconds I get an IP via dhcpcd and I can immediately
> connect to the Internet, but very unreliably. Within a few seconds it
> seems that the link goes down, i.e. I can no longer ping Internet
> addresses, or the AP, despite iwconfig showing that all is fine connection
> wise:

What driver are you using? This sounds a lot like what rt2500usb (part of the
rt2x00 project) does, when it associates with an AP at all

BTW, did you really send your wep keys to the world? You may want to change
them...

Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Mick

On Friday 06 June 2008, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 06:15:11PM +0100, Mick wrote:
> > wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"daddy"
> > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point:
> > 00:18:4D:AE:55:2C Bit Rate=12 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
> > Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
> > Encryption key:8B7B-9671-89
> > Link Quality=31/100 Signal level=-56 dBm
>
> I do not know your card, but mine works with link quality above 60/100,
> below that doesn't do much. The ping times are because there are
> link-level retransmits, so it tries many times and it sometimes
> succeeds.
>
> If you get closer to the AP, is it still a problem?

It's a USB dongle:

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 050d:7050 Belkin Components F5D7050 ver 1000 WiFi

I have moved right next to the AP and notice the same weird behaviour.
Mick

Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Mick

On Friday 06 June 2008, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
> On Friday 06 June 2008 12:15:11 Mick wrote:
> > Within the next few seconds I get an IP via dhcpcd and I can immediately
> > connect to the Internet, but very unreliably. Within a few seconds it
> > seems that the link goes down, i.e. I can no longer ping Internet
> > addresses, or the AP, despite iwconfig showing that all is fine
> > connection wise:
>
> What driver are you using? This sounds a lot like what rt2500usb (part of
> the rt2x00 project) does, when it associates with an AP at all

Yep. I did manage to get it working with wpa_supplicant (or so I
thought . . . )

# lsmod | grep rt2
rt2500usb 21728 0
rt2x00usb 8576 1 rt2500usb
rt2x00lib 14944 2 rt2500usb,rt2x00usb

Am I on a hiding to nothing? I thought that if it made it into the kernel it
would be alright to use. When I was downloading the rt2x00 from cvs it was a
bit of a hit and miss affair.

> BTW, did you really send your wep keys to the world? You may want to
> change them...

Nah, not important. I'm in the middle of nowhere to be honest visiting a
friend. Also, WEP encryption is rather trivial to crack, especially so with
a 40bit key.
Mick

Old 06-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Mick

On Friday 06 June 2008, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 06:15:11PM +0100, Mick wrote:
> > wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"daddy"
> > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point:
> > 00:18:4D:AE:55:2C Bit Rate=12 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
> > Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
> > Encryption key:8B7B-9671-89
> > Link Quality=31/100 Signal level=-56 dBm
>
> I do not know your card, but mine works with link quality above 60/100,
> below that doesn't do much. The ping times are because there are
> link-level retransmits, so it tries many times and it sometimes
> succeeds.
>
> If you get closer to the AP, is it still a problem?

Ahh, just noticed this USB unclaimed message in lshw:

*-usbhost
product: UHCI Host Controller
vendor: Linux 2.6.24-gentoo-r8 uhci_hcd
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@2
logical name: usb2
version: 2.06
capabilities: usb-1.10
configuration: maxpower=0mA slots=2 speed=12.0MB/s
*-usb UNCLAIMED
product: Belkin 54g USB Network Adapter
vendor: Belkin
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@2:1
version: 0.01
capabilities: usb-2.00
configuration: maxpower=300mA speed=12.0MB/s

Should it be so?

Mick

Old 06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Jonathan Fosburgh

On Friday 06 June 2008 14:36:14 Mick wrote:

> Yep. I did manage to get it working with wpa_supplicant (or so I
> thought . . . )
>
> # lsmod | grep rt2
> rt2500usb 21728 0
> rt2x00usb 8576 1 rt2500usb
> rt2x00lib 14944 2 rt2500usb,rt2x00usb
>
> Am I on a hiding to nothing? I thought that if it made it into the kernel
> it would be alright to use. When I was downloading the rt2x00 from cvs it
> was a bit of a hit and miss affair.

The rt2x00 driver works for some chipsets, but the rt2500usb doesn't seem to
work at all. If you check the kernel config you may still see it marked as
experimental. Better to use a CVS build (not in portage IIRC) of rt2570 and a
current kernel than to try with rt2500usb at this time. That is what I am
doing, with wpa using the iwpriv commands.