Old 12-01-2007, 05:10 PM
dexter

Default Slow network performance

Hello

I have a serious problem with network performance. I have 4 different
vlan-s invisible to each other. On each of the vlan-s there are windows
clients with file shareing enabled. There are some directories that need
to be accessible from all vlan-s, so I've deployed a gentoo based "proxy
server". It's a Core2Duo with 5 ethernet adapters, one for every vlan +
one for internet connection. On this proxy machine I have mounted
mentioned directories using cifs, and shared them on all ethernet cards
using samba.

Here is my problem

When I copy a file from any of the hosts to a local file system of proxy
machine i get transfers of about 40 MB/s so it's ok.
When I copy a file from proxy local file system to any of the hosts on
any of the vlans I get very similar results.
Unfortunatelly when I access proxy and try to copy a file from
samba-shared directory from other vlan than I get 14 MB/s

I'm quite confused and don't know what can be the problem, all NIC's are
1 GBit/s

Two of them are Intel Pro 1000 (PCIExpress x1)
One if integrated on motherboard (nvidia 5XX series chipset)
Two are Dlink NIC's on regular PCI