Old 12-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Grant

Default firefox-bin won't start on amd64

I've installed a new 64 bit system and everything is running great
except firefox-bin won't start. I get a "cannot execute binary file"
error which evidently means I've got a mismatch between the binary and
my system's architecture. I used an x86_64-hardened stage, my CHOST
is x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, I'm using -march=nocona, and intel.com says my
CPU has 64-bit extensions. Should I have used multilib somewhere
along the line or something?

- Grant

Old 12-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Joshua Doll

Grant wrote:

I've installed a new 64 bit system and everything is running great
except firefox-bin won't start. I get a "cannot execute binary file"
error which evidently means I've got a mismatch between the binary and
my system's architecture. I used an x86_64-hardened stage, my CHOST
is x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, I'm using -march=nocona, and intel.com says my
CPU has 64-bit extensions. Should I have used mult ilib somewhere
along the line or something?
- Grant

Do you have 32 bit execution support in your kernel?

Executable file formats / Emulations -->
│ │[*] IA32 Emulation │ │
│ │ <*> IA32 a.out support

--Joshua Doll

Old 12-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Grant

> > I've installed a new 64 bit system and everything is running great
> > except firefox-bin won't start. I get a "cannot execute binary file"
> > error which evidently means I've got a mismatch between the binary and
> > my system's architecture. I used an x86_64-hardened stage, my CHOST
> > is x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, I'm using -march=nocona, and intel.com says my
> > CPU has 64-bit extensions. Should I have used mult ilib somewhere
> > along the line or something?
> > - Grant
> >
> Do you have 32 bit execution support in your kernel?
>
> Executable file formats / Emulations -->
> │ │[*] IA32 Emulation │ │
> │ │ <*> IA32 a.out support

Ace! Thanks Joshua.

- Grant

Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Grant

> > > I've installed a new 64 bit system and everything is running great
> > > except firefox-bin won't start. I get a "cannot execute binary file"
> > > error which evidently means I've got a mismatch between the binary and
> > > my system's architecture. I used an x86_64-hardened stage, my CHOST
> > > is x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, I'm using -march=nocona, and intel.com says my
> > > CPU has 64-bit extensions. Should I have used mult ilib somewhere
> > > along the line or something?
> > > - Grant
> > >
> > Do you have 32 bit execution support in your kernel?
> >
> > Executable file formats / Emulations -->
> > │ │[*] IA32 Emulation │ │
> > │ │ <*> IA32 a.out support

Well, I was sure that was going to work, but now I get:

/usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 460: /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: No
such file or directory

and:

/usr/bin/skype: line 10: /opt/skype/skype: No such file or directory

I think there was a totally different path showing up in the error
before. I re-emerged mozilla-firefox-bin and skype with no success.
Any ideas?

- Grant

Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Sunday 02 Dec 2007, Grant wrote:

> /usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 460: /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: No
> such file or directory

On this box,

$ which firefox-bin
/usr/bin/firefox-bin

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Grant

> > /usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 460: /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: No
> > such file or directory
>
> On this box,
>
> $ which firefox-bin
> /usr/bin/firefox-bin

Me too, I should have said that.

$ which firefox-bin
/usr/bin/firefox-bin

Here's the whole error:

$ firefox-bin
/usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 368:
/opt/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client: No such file or directory
Unknown error 127 from mozilla-xremote-client
/usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 460: /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: No
such file or directory
firefox-bin exited with non-zero status (127)

Also:

$ ls /opt/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client