-   Gentoo Releng (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-releng/)
-   -   Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-releng/45879-free-standing-portage-recent-stage3-tarballs-beta.html)

Chris Gianelloni 02-03-2008 05:13 AM

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 21:56 -0800, davecode@nospammail.net wrote:
> > The stage tarballs are *never* ~arch. We have talked about doing automated
> > builds, but we're not releasing them for public consumption, since there will be
> > absolutely *zero* QA done on them.
>
> Of course not; I didn't mean you replace official releases with ~arch!
> I only meant that, like Debian et al, there be regular tarballs for
> eager testers. That seems more sensible that starting testing from a
> year-old tarball. Some others might test in kexec/vmware/chroot or
> whatever.

Ehh, we'd never release ~arch tarballs. If we were to do something like
this, it would be weekly stable tarballs. There's no guarantee that
~arch is even consistent. With stable, there's at least the testing of
the arch teams.

> > why exactly do PPC boxes need the newest everything?
>
> Sigh. I'd rather not go there. Suffice to say ~arch is why we're here.
> The current ~arch is turning into 2008.0 anyway, so that's what where
> we can help QA Gentoo.

No, it isn't.

I think your idea of how Gentoo releases work is a bit skewed.
Everything comes from stable. Always.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead

Chris Gianelloni 02-04-2008 04:17 PM

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 20:28 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Those few times I've installed a new box from the LiveCD/DVD, I've
> always done it networkless anyhow. That way, I get the box on the air
> in a short time and *then* I can indulge my inner ricer. :)

Actually, we've done one better and made it networkless-only now. It
only does a binary install. If you want to do a networked install, you
have to do it manually.

"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" 02-05-2008 01:58 AM

Chris Gianelloni wrote:

Those few times I've installed a new box from the LiveCD/DVD, I've
always done it networkless anyhow. That way, I get the box on the air

in a short time and *then* I can indulge my inner ricer. :)

Actually, we've done one better and made it networkless-only now. It
only does a binary install. If you want to do a networked install, you
have to do it manually.

That's great!! I could never get a networked install to work --
something about the LiveCD/LiveDVD being dog-slow doing compiles, I
think. That was on a machine with only 1 GB of RAM, though -- it might
actually work on my big one.

Chris Gianelloni 02-05-2008 03:44 PM

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 23:35 -0800, davecode@nospammail.net wrote:
> I'm not saying "change your ways" but rather "tarball ~stuff" to help
> sysadmins make their own design choices. Any choice is a balancing
> act of competing requirements.
>
> > They've got no clue what it means, then they bitch/whine
> > when they hit ABI issues or other problems and blame Gentoo.
>
> Not in this discussion? All I want is a cleaner way to install
> ~arch.
> Put all the warning stickers you want. I agree it is *not* for
> average users.

You must be new here. If we allow it, it'll be used. Not only will it
be used, but the users will expect us to support it. We are already
understaffed to support simple things like the stages and the minimal
images. Adding yet another set of stages that could much more easily be
broken due to lower QA just isn't something we have the ability to do,
even if we wanted to do it.