FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Releng

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 AM
"Nikolić Milan"
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

And what do you say about midnight commander on minimal cd, ok, live cd has gui file managers, I never use it anyway but what about minimal? I use systemrescuecd only because of this....
 
Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 AM
"Nikolić Milan"
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

And what do you say about midnight commander on minimal cd, ok, live cd has gui file managers, I never use it anyway but what about minimal? I use systemrescuecd only because of this....
 
Old 02-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Matthew
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

On Feb 1, 2008 10:14 AM, Nikolić Milan <gen2brain@gmail.com> wrote:
> And what do you say about midnight commander on minimal cd, ok, live cd has
> gui file managers, I never use it anyway but what about minimal? I use
> systemrescuecd only because of this....
>

mc would be really nice, another app users use pretty often is net-irc/irssi ,
I'm however missing support for ntfs3g, sys-process/htop is a must for
management of tasks
some pc magazines are proclaiming the gentoo livecd as a recue-media
so inclusion for
cryptsetup, dosfstools, testdisk/photorec, sdparm, smartmontools,
hddtemp would also be great

if they fit on the (non-minimal) livecd dev-util/git, subversion, cvs
& friends are very helpful if you need something in the beginning from
an overlay or the gentoo cvs / svn servers

thanks
?é*˘?Ţ?éŕ?+-˛§ś?(Ž ??X§?XŹ
 
Old 02-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Rémi Cardona
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

Matthew a écrit :

On Feb 1, 2008 10:14 AM, Nikolić Milan <gen2brain@gmail.com> wrote:

And what do you say about midnight commander on minimal cd, ok, live cd has
gui file managers, I never use it anyway but what about minimal? I use
systemrescuecd only because of this....



mc would be really nice, another app users use pretty often is net-irc/irssi ,
I'm however missing support for ntfs3g, sys-process/htop is a must for
management of tasks
some pc magazines are proclaiming the gentoo livecd as a recue-media
so inclusion for
cryptsetup, dosfstools, testdisk/photorec, sdparm, smartmontools,
hddtemp would also be great


Guys, have you forgotten you were talking about the "minimal" live cd?
Which is exactly what its name says it is : minimal. Only the critical
stuff needed to install Gentoo.


If you want more stuff, there's always the regular live cd, which is
also there for exactly this reason


Cheers,

Rémi
--
gentoo-releng@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Matthew
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

>
> Guys, have you forgotten you were talking about the "minimal" live cd?
> Which is exactly what its name says it is : minimal. Only the critical
> stuff needed to install Gentoo.
>
> If you want more stuff, there's always the regular live cd, which is
> also there for exactly this reason
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rmi
> --
> gentoo-releng@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
>
>

yeah, hm, sorry, the topic didn't say minimal cd

at least cryptsetup should be included additionally on the minimal cd
(if not already) otherwise I have no access to my data (config files,
etc) during installation
I'm sure there are others who need it, too

Mat
--
gentoo-releng@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Andrew Gaffney
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

Nikolić Milan wrote:
And what do you say about midnight commander on minimal cd, ok, live cd
has gui file managers, I never use it anyway but what about minimal? I
use systemrescuecd only because of this....


No, we're not adding "random" apps to the minimal, especially something so very
unnecessary.


--
Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
--
gentoo-releng@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Chris Gianelloni
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 10:14 +0100, Nikolić Milan wrote:
> And what do you say about midnight commander on minimal cd, ok, live
> cd has gui file managers, I never use it anyway but what about
> minimal? I use systemrescuecd only because of this....

The minimal CD should be minimal. Unless it's firmware/drivers, I'm not
likely to add anything here.

Also, why don't you use the LiveCD ISO if you're already grabbing
systemrescuecd? You *can* boot the ISO without X and you *can* use it
without using the Installer, you know. ;]

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Games Developer
 
Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Chris Gianelloni
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

Guys, *PLEASE* make sure you're not requesting things which we already
ship.

Thanks

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 10:25 +0100, Matthew wrote:
> I'm however missing support for ntfs3g, sys-process/htop is a must for
> management of tasks

Hrrmn... file a bug for ntfs3g (assign to release@gentoo.org) and I'll
add it. What's htop? Actually, file a bug for it, too.

> cryptsetup, dosfstools, testdisk/photorec, sdparm, smartmontools,
> hddtemp would also be great

Done, Done, Done/Not Done, Done, Done, Not Done...

We already ship most of these. Please try to keep comments to things we
*don't* already do.

> if they fit on the (non-minimal) livecd dev-util/git, subversion, cvs
> & friends are very helpful if you need something in the beginning from
> an overlay or the gentoo cvs / svn servers

We had cvs/subversion already, but not git. Could you (or anyone) file
a bug for that, please?

Thanks,

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Games Developer
 
Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Chris Gianelloni
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 10:26 +0100, Rmi Cardona wrote:
> Guys, have you forgotten you were talking about the "minimal" live cd?
> Which is exactly what its name says it is : minimal. Only the critical
> stuff needed to install Gentoo.

When he said "LiveCD" I assumed that he meant the LiveCD. The minimal
CD is not and never has been suitable for a rescue CD except in the
simplest of cases.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Games Developer
 
Old 02-01-2008, 05:26 PM
"Markus Hauschild"
 
Default Call for feature request for 2008.0

+1 on sys-process/htop its really useful imo

On Feb 1, 2008 6:12 PM, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I'm however missing support for ntfs3g, sys-process/htop is a must for
> > management of tasks
>
> Hrrmn... file a bug for ntfs3g (assign to release@gentoo.org) and I'll
> add it. What's htop? Actually, file a bug for it, too.

--
Cheers, Markus
--
gentoo-releng@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org