Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Chris Gianelloni

Default Checklists for testers and QA

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 16:38 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> In the case of Beta and Release, we'll also want to ask people for
> specific information about their environment (hardware, software, etc.)
> that will help us to troubleshoot the issues and focus more energy on
> the worst problems.

So nobody has *any* ideas, at all for this?

It's been a week and there hasn't been a *single* response.

This is everyone's chance to give their input on what we should have
checked on the release media. If you do not speak up now, it isn't
likely that it will get checked.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead

Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 AM
"Denys Fedoryshchenko"

Hi

I can test on some recent hardware. Mostly Intel motherboards, such as DP35DP.
Also i have some interesting cases like Sony Vaio tiny laptop (without
embedded CD-ROM, so it is USB, a bit non-standart environment), installing
gentoo in qemu.
Probably i will be able to test Gentoo also in local shop who is selling
Apple products, on Apple hardware.

I am very interested in remote gentoo installations, so would like to test
new gentoo release for such cases. But probably i am a bit late for this?

Or i understand wrong question?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:40:06 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote
> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 16:38 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > In the case of Beta and Release, we'll also want to ask people for
> > specific information about their environment (hardware, software, etc.)
> > that will help us to troubleshoot the issues and focus more energy on
> > the worst problems.
>
> So nobody has *any* ideas, at all for this?
>
> It's been a week and there hasn't been a *single* response.
>
> This is everyone's chance to give their input on what we should have
> checked on the release media. If you do not speak up now, it isn't
> likely that it will get checked.
>
> --
> Chris Gianelloni
> Release Engineering Strategic Lead
> Games Developer

Denys Fedoryshchenko
Technical Manager
Virtual ISP S.A.L.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 AM
"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky"

Chris Gianelloni wrote:

In the case of Beta and Release, we'll also want to ask people for
specific information about their environment (hardware, software, etc.)
that will help us to troubleshoot the issues and focus more energy on
the worst problems.

So nobody has *any* ideas, at all for this?

It's been a week and there hasn't been a *single* response.

This is everyone's chance to give their input on what we should have
checked on the release media. If you do not speak up now, it isn't
likely that it will get checked.

I have a 4 GB Athlon64 X2, so I'm planning on testing on that. One thing
I might also test is building LiveCDs and LiveDVDs via Catalyst.

By the way, I've got the 2.6.24 kernel and so far it's absolutely
flawless on my machine, including the latest "nvidia-drivers" ebuild.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Andrew Gaffney

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Chris Gianelloni wrote:

In the case of Beta and Release, we'll also want to ask people for
specific information about their environment (hardware, software, etc.)
that will help us to troubleshoot the issues and focus more energy on
the worst problems.

So nobody has *any* ideas, at all for this?

It's been a week and there hasn't been a *single* response.

This is everyone's chance to give their input on what we should have
checked on the release media. If you do not speak up now, it isn't
likely that it will get checked.

I have a 4 GB Athlon64 X2, so I'm planning on testing on that. One thing
I might also test is building LiveCDs and LiveDVDs via Catalyst.

By the way, I've got the 2.6.24 kernel and so far it's absolutely
flawless on my machine, including the latest "nvidia-drivers" ebuild.

You guys misunderstand. He's not asking for testers. He's asking for things to
add to the standard list of questions that testers should provide answers to
when filing a bug report for a beta release.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator

Old 02-01-2008, 02:06 AM
"John Alberts"

On Jan 31, 2008 7:40 PM, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> So nobody has *any* ideas, at all for this?
>
> It's been a week and there hasn't been a *single* response.

I think the list of questions you have suggested is fine. The only
thing I would add is a comments section at the end of the survey.

--
John Alberts

Old 02-01-2008, 02:22 AM
"John Alberts"

Also, I think instead of asking the user what type of hardware they
have, they should be asked to attach the output of lspci, lsusb, and
cat /proc/cpuinfo.
I think someone else previously mentioned using a program called
hwreport. I just gave it a try. It's only 11k and it's in portage.
It basically just dumps info from various important entries under
/proc and creates a tarball. So, after I installed it, I ran '#
hwreport reportname' and it instantly created a reportname.tar.bz2
file. This could be attached with the survey.
Of course, ideally it would be easier on the folks trying to sort out
this information if there was a script to parse they surveys, extract
the tarball and upload the info to a database, so you can just view
the compiled info.

John Alberts

--
John Alberts