Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Paul Varner

Default tools-portage packages

All:

Sending this here before I send to the gentoo-dev list. Below is the
list of packages that are managed by the tools-portage herd and their
maintainer (if any). I know we have several packages in the herd that
are not being maintained and I would like to either get a maintainer or
last rite the package. I've included comments on what I know about the
packages.

$ equery meta -m $(fgrep "tools-portage" /usr/portage/*/*/metadata.xml |
awk -F'/' '{printf("%s/%s
", $4, $5)}')

* app-portage/deltup [gentoo]
None specified

-- I don't know anything about this package.

* app-portage/eclass-manpages [gentoo]
vapier@gentoo.org

-- Actively maintained by Mike.

* app-portage/elogv [gentoo]
fuzzyray@gentoo.org (Paul Varner)
sping@gentoo.org (Sebastian Pipping)

-- Being maintained more by Sebastian than myself.

* app-portage/elogviewer [gentoo]
fuzzyray@gentoo.org (Paul Varner)

-- Effectively unmaintained, I can't find the upstream repository and I
haven't done anything with it recently.

* app-portage/epm [gentoo]
None specified

-- Old perl script that mimics rpm. I've done some ebuild cleanup, but
otherwise unmaintained.

* app-portage/esearch [gentoo]
None specified

-- Actively maintained by myself and Brian. Upstream repository is on
Github

* app-portage/etc-proposals [gentoo]
dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)

-- Actively maintained by Brian

* app-portage/euses [gentoo]
jer@gentoo.org (Jeroen Roovers)

-- Actively maintained by Jeroen

* app-portage/genlop [gentoo]
None specified

-- Not actively being maintained although fixes have been made in the
upstream gentoo-perl repository on Github. it might be appropriate to
transfer this to the gentoo-perl herd.

* app-portage/gentoolkit-dev [gentoo]
None specified

-- Actively maintained by Christian.

* app-portage/gentoolkit [gentoo]
None specified

-- Actively maintained by Paul and Brian

* app-portage/gpytage [gentoo]
dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)

-- Brian took over maintenance. Not sure of active status

* app-portage/layman [gentoo]
dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)

-- Brian is actively maintaining

* app-portage/maintainer-helper [local]
None specified

-- Not actively maintained, it really needs a maintainer or be dropped
from the tree.

* app-portage/mirrorselect [gentoo]
None specified

-- Actively maintained by various people.

* app-portage/porthole [gentoo]
dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
Upstream Maintainer (please CC on bugs)

-- Actively maintained by Brian

* app-portage/splat [gentoo]
None specified

-- I don't know anything about this package. Upstream URL is dead.

* app-portage/udept [local]
fuzzyray@gentoo.org

-- Effectively last rited, due to dead upstream. Still in tree in hard
masked status due to no replacement. However, in the time that it has
been hard masked, there has not been anyone to step up and either fork
or create a replacement.

* app-portage/ufed [gentoo]
None specified

-- Not being maintained since Harald retired and needs a maintainer.
Repository is on overlays.g.o

* dev-util/bdelta [gentoo]
slyfox@gentoo.org (Sergei Trofimovich)
Primary Maintainer

-- I don't know anything about this package. Based on the ChangeLog,
Sergei is actively maintaining it.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Paul Varner

All:

(Apologies if you get this twice. I never saw my initial send of the
message hit the mailing list)

Old 07-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Brian Dolbec

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 14:06 -0500, Paul Varner wrote:

> * app-portage/etc-proposals [gentoo]
> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
>
> -- Actively maintained by Brian

There hasn't been any issues with it. If it ain't broke...

Although the qt frontend is behind the gtk one, so if there is a pyqt
guru out there willing to update it...

I haven't seen any activity from it's creator in the forums or in the
repo. I don't know if he's still around or using gentoo still.

> * app-portage/gentoolkit [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- Actively maintained by Paul and Brian

time to start getting ideas for our next round of improvements for a
0.31 release.
I did want to migrate equery to the enalyze classes for handling the
menus, module options and things. This will eliminate a lot more
duplicated code. It will also make for a central place to change to
using argsparse if we want to rather than getopt.

Did we want to start merging more of gentoolkit-dev into gentoolkit yet?

Are there any more enalyze modules, rebuild targets, or analyze reports
desired or needed?

> * app-portage/gpytage [gentoo]
> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
>
> -- Brian took over maintenance. Not sure of active status

I've just started poking around it's code again. Ken hasn't been around
irc for some time. I have been involved some in it's development from
early on. Ken did start some refactoring last time he was working on
it. I've cloned his savanah svn repo into git locally. I don't
remember my savanah password, but didn't have commit access to it there
anyway. I'll push any changes to github.

> * app-portage/layman [gentoo]
> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
>
> -- Brian is actively maintaining

I really need to re-code the migration bit we did in the ebuild into
python so it can read and modify the existing config variables. A
couple small bugs and it should be ready for a 2.0.0 final. Then will
be finishing the changes needed for it to be able run correctly in py3.
There are still a few changes needed for a clean 2to3 run to work
without additional patching. If I drop py2.5 compatibility it would
also reduce the number of fixes 2to3 would need to make. But there were
people using it with py2.5 even recently. I think they were embedded
developers.

> * app-portage/porthole [gentoo]
> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
> Upstream Maintainer (please CC on bugs)
>
> -- Actively maintained by Brian

I've gotten more work done on the backend re-factor, but is a long way
off being ready. I also started a refactor to the packages view so it
could be used by plug-ins. It is mostly done, but I need to work on the
layman plug-in more to test it. I think I'll need to put out an interim
release with a few updates to the backend and the packages view changes.

--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen@gentoo.org>

Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Alec Warner

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Paul Varner <fuzzyray@gentoo.org> wrote:
> All:
>
> (Apologies if you get this twice. I never saw my initial send of the
> message hit the mailing list)
>
> Sending this here before I send to the gentoo-dev list. Below is the
> list of packages that are managed by the tools-portage herd and their
> maintainer (if any). I know we have several packages in the herd that
> are not being maintained and I would like to either get a maintainer or
> last rite the package. I've included comments on what I know about the
> packages.
>
> $ equery meta -m $(fgrep "tools-portage" /usr/portage/*/*/metadata.xml |
> awk -F'/' '{printf("%s/%s
", $4, $5)}')

> * app-portage/deltup [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- I don't know anything about this package.
>
> * app-portage/eclass-manpages [gentoo]
> vapier@gentoo.org
>
> -- Actively maintained by Mike.
>
> * app-portage/elogv [gentoo]
> fuzzyray@gentoo.org (Paul Varner)
> sping@gentoo.org (Sebastian Pipping)
>
> -- Being maintained more by Sebastian than myself.
>
> * app-portage/elogviewer [gentoo]
> fuzzyray@gentoo.org (Paul Varner)
>
> -- Effectively unmaintained, I can't find the upstream repository and I
> haven't done anything with it recently.
>
> * app-portage/epm [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- Old perl script that mimics rpm. I've done some ebuild cleanup, but
> otherwise unmaintained.
>
> * app-portage/esearch [gentoo]
> None specified

I used to maintain this; but I don't see a compelling reason to use it
over eix, so I recommend removal.

-A

Old 07-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Christian Ruppert

On 07/17/12 at 03:48PM -0500, Paul Varner wrote:
> All:
>
> (Apologies if you get this twice. I never saw my initial send of the
> message hit the mailing list)
>
> Sending this here before I send to the gentoo-dev list. Below is the
> list of packages that are managed by the tools-portage herd and their
> maintainer (if any). I know we have several packages in the herd that
> are not being maintained and I would like to either get a maintainer or
> last rite the package. I've included comments on what I know about the
> packages.
>
> $ equery meta -m $(fgrep "tools-portage" /usr/portage/*/*/metadata.xml |
> awk -F'/' '{printf("%s/%s
", $4, $5)}')

> * app-portage/deltup [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- I don't know anything about this package.
>
> * app-portage/eclass-manpages [gentoo]
> vapier@gentoo.org
>
> -- Actively maintained by Mike.
>
> * app-portage/elogv [gentoo]
> fuzzyray@gentoo.org (Paul Varner)
> sping@gentoo.org (Sebastian Pipping)
>
> -- Being maintained more by Sebastian than myself.
>
> * app-portage/elogviewer [gentoo]
> fuzzyray@gentoo.org (Paul Varner)
>
> -- Effectively unmaintained, I can't find the upstream repository and I
> haven't done anything with it recently.
>
> * app-portage/epm [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- Old perl script that mimics rpm. I've done some ebuild cleanup, but
> otherwise unmaintained.
>
> * app-portage/esearch [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- Actively maintained by myself and Brian. Upstream repository is on
> Github
>
> * app-portage/etc-proposals [gentoo]
> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
>
> -- Actively maintained by Brian
>
> * app-portage/euses [gentoo]
> jer@gentoo.org (Jeroen Roovers)
>
> -- Actively maintained by Jeroen
>
> * app-portage/genlop [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- Not actively being maintained although fixes have been made in the
> upstream gentoo-perl repository on Github. it might be appropriate to
> transfer this to the gentoo-perl herd.
>
> * app-portage/gentoolkit-dev [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- Actively maintained by Christian.

I'll keep maintaining it so far, mostly echangelog.

> * app-portage/gentoolkit [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- Actively maintained by Paul and Brian
>
> * app-portage/gpytage [gentoo]
> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
>
> -- Brian took over maintenance. Not sure of active status
>
> * app-portage/layman [gentoo]
> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
>
> -- Brian is actively maintaining
>
> * app-portage/maintainer-helper [local]
> None specified
>
> -- Not actively maintained, it really needs a maintainer or be dropped
> from the tree.
>
> * app-portage/mirrorselect [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- Actively maintained by various people.

I guess I will still try to fix bugs (mostly major ones) when there are some.

> * app-portage/porthole [gentoo]
> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
> Upstream Maintainer (please CC on bugs)
>
> -- Actively maintained by Brian
>
> * app-portage/splat [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- I don't know anything about this package. Upstream URL is dead.
>
> * app-portage/udept [local]
> fuzzyray@gentoo.org
>
> -- Effectively last rited, due to dead upstream. Still in tree in hard
> masked status due to no replacement. However, in the time that it has
> been hard masked, there has not been anyone to step up and either fork
> or create a replacement.
>
> * app-portage/ufed [gentoo]
> None specified
>
> -- Not being maintained since Harald retired and needs a maintainer.
> Repository is on overlays.g.o
>
> * dev-util/bdelta [gentoo]
> slyfox@gentoo.org (Sergei Trofimovich)
> Primary Maintainer
>
> -- I don't know anything about this package. Based on the ChangeLog,
> Sergei is actively maintaining it.

Christian Ruppert
Gentoo Linux developer, Bugzilla administrator and Infrastructure member
Fingerprint: EEB1 C341 7C84 B274 6C59 F243 5EAB 0C62 B427 ABC8

Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Alec Warner

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Christian Ruppert <idl0r@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 07/17/12 at 03:48PM -0500, Paul Varner wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> (Apologies if you get this twice. I never saw my initial send of the
>> message hit the mailing list)
>>
>> Sending this here before I send to the gentoo-dev list. Below is the
>> list of packages that are managed by the tools-portage herd and their
>> maintainer (if any). I know we have several packages in the herd that
>> are not being maintained and I would like to either get a maintainer or
>> last rite the package. I've included comments on what I know about the
>> packages.
>>
>> $ equery meta -m $(fgrep "tools-portage" /usr/portage/*/*/metadata.xml |
>> awk -F'/' '{printf("%s/%s
", $4, $5)}')

>> * app-portage/deltup [gentoo]
>> None specified
>>
>> -- I don't know anything about this package.
>>
>> * app-portage/eclass-manpages [gentoo]
>> vapier@gentoo.org
>>
>> -- Actively maintained by Mike.
>>
>> * app-portage/elogv [gentoo]
>> fuzzyray@gentoo.org (Paul Varner)
>> sping@gentoo.org (Sebastian Pipping)
>>
>> -- Being maintained more by Sebastian than myself.
>>
>> * app-portage/elogviewer [gentoo]
>> fuzzyray@gentoo.org (Paul Varner)
>>
>> -- Effectively unmaintained, I can't find the upstream repository and I
>> haven't done anything with it recently.
>>
>> * app-portage/epm [gentoo]
>> None specified
>>
>> -- Old perl script that mimics rpm. I've done some ebuild cleanup, but
>> otherwise unmaintained.
>>
>> * app-portage/esearch [gentoo]
>> None specified
>>
>> -- Actively maintained by myself and Brian. Upstream repository is on
>> Github
>>
>> * app-portage/etc-proposals [gentoo]
>> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
>>
>> -- Actively maintained by Brian
>>
>> * app-portage/euses [gentoo]
>> jer@gentoo.org (Jeroen Roovers)
>>
>> -- Actively maintained by Jeroen
>>
>> * app-portage/genlop [gentoo]
>> None specified
>>
>> -- Not actively being maintained although fixes have been made in the
>> upstream gentoo-perl repository on Github. it might be appropriate to
>> transfer this to the gentoo-perl herd.
>>
>> * app-portage/gentoolkit-dev [gentoo]
>> None specified
>>
>> -- Actively maintained by Christian.
>
> I'll keep maintaining it so far, mostly echangelog.
>

>> * app-portage/gentoolkit [gentoo]
>> None specified
>>
>> -- Actively maintained by Paul and Brian
>>
>> * app-portage/gpytage [gentoo]
>> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
>>
>> -- Brian took over maintenance. Not sure of active status
>>
>> * app-portage/layman [gentoo]
>> dolsen@gentoo.org (Brian Dolbec)
>>
>> -- Brian is actively maintaining
>>
>> * app-portage/maintainer-helper [local]
>> None specified
>>
>> -- Not actively maintained, it really needs a maintainer or be dropped
>> from the tree.
>>
>> * app-portage/mirrorselect [gentoo]
>> None specified
>>
>> -- Actively maintained by various people.
>
> I guess I will still try to fix bugs (mostly major ones) when there are some.

I will fix bugs in the script if someone does the ebuild work or proxies for me.

-A

Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 AM
Duncan

Alec Warner posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:18:53 +0200 as excerpted:

>> * app-portage/esearch [gentoo]
>> None specified
>
> I used to maintain this; but I don't see a compelling reason to use it
> over eix, so I recommend removal.

FWIW, I use esearch (heh, just looked up eix with it). I have it
embedded in my update script as well, to update its database, and have a
few front-ends for it (ehome being the most used), which return just the
specified data.

So switching to eix if esearch is treecleaned wouldn't be entirely
painless, but it shouldn't be overly painful, either.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Brian Dolbec

On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 02:42 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Alec Warner posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:18:53 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> >> * app-portage/esearch [gentoo]
> >> None specified
> >
> > I used to maintain this; but I don't see a compelling reason to use it
> > over eix, so I recommend removal.
>
> FWIW, I use esearch (heh, just looked up eix with it). I have it
> embedded in my update script as well, to update its database, and have a
> few front-ends for it (ehome being the most used), which return just the
> specified data.
>
> So switching to eix if esearch is treecleaned wouldn't be entirely
> painless, but it shouldn't be overly painful, either.

Don't worry, It's not getting treecleaned. Especially after we just did
a bunch of work on it to bring it up to date. Fuzzyray prefers it over
eix for one. And is why it was updated. Personally I don't use it
much, I tend to use porthole for searching. Even though I have eix
installed, I rarely use it, just usually for some testing.

If your scripts are python based instead of bash based. Like most
everything I get working on, I've modularized all the code, so it has a
good usable/import-able api for embedding into other scripts. No need
to parse output. I also added layman syncing to it, both by importing
my new layman api or by subprocessing it for older layman versions.

--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen@gentoo.org>

Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Duncan

Brian Dolbec posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:59:08 -0700 as excerpted:

> If your scripts are python based instead of bash based. Like most
> everything I get working on, I've modularized all the code, so it has a
> good usable/import-able api for embedding into other scripts. No need
> to parse output.

Bash based. I keep thinking I'll learn python one of these days, but
never seem to get the properly curved tuit. =:^

But many are trivial front-ends anyway:

$ cat `which ehome`
#!/bin/bash
# esearch, output package and homepage only

exec esearch -o%p
%h

$*

FWIW I've a whole slew of emerge front-ends too, ea* for emerge --ask, ep*
for emerge --pretend. Example: eas for emerge --ask @system (it also
feeds --update --deep --newuse --jobs=X --load-average=Y to it). And I
extended gentoo's bash-completion scripts and reapplied them, so I still
get tab-completion for package names, etc. I just don't have to feed in
the long string of options I'd normally need to get the intended effect;
they're all 2-4 letter commands starting with ea or ep, so tab-
completable on their own. =:^)

Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Paul Varner

Based upon all of the responses, this is the list of completely
unmaintained packages managed by tools-portage. If no one objects, I
will send this list to gentoo-dev in a few days asking for maintainers
or they will be last rited.

app-portage/deltup
app-portage/epm
app-portage/maintainer-helper