Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Pacho Ramos

Default About userpriv usage

I have seen today a fixed bug that was only reproducible for people
(like me) running without userpriv (but maintainer didn't found it
before commiting because he was running with this feature enabled), I
have also seen some packages skipping tests when not using userpriv. I
am unsure then, why default is still to not use userpriv? I haven't
found important bugs opened pointing regressions but, since it's still
disabled by default, I am still running in the old way instead of using
"userpriv usersandbox" :/

Thanks for the info

Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Zac Medico

On 05/27/2012 03:27 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> I have seen today a fixed bug that was only reproducible for people
> (like me) running without userpriv (but maintainer didn't found it
> before commiting because he was running with this feature enabled), I
> have also seen some packages skipping tests when not using userpriv. I
> am unsure then, why default is still to not use userpriv?

I think it's not enabled by default just because there's always risk
involved in changing the defaults. I've been using it for years and I
don't remember experiencing any problems because of it.

> I haven't
> found important bugs opened pointing regressions but, since it's still
> disabled by default, I am still running in the old way instead of using
> "userpriv usersandbox" :/

I plan to send an email to the gentoo-dev mailing list, to ask if there
are any objections to having FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" enabled by
default.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Pacho Ramos

El lun, 28-05-2012 a las 00:49 -0700, Zac Medico escribió:
> On 05/27/2012 03:27 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > I have seen today a fixed bug that was only reproducible for people
> > (like me) running without userpriv (but maintainer didn't found it
> > before commiting because he was running with this feature enabled), I
> > have also seen some packages skipping tests when not using userpriv. I
> > am unsure then, why default is still to not use userpriv?
>
> I think it's not enabled by default just because there's always risk
> involved in changing the defaults. I've been using it for years and I
> don't remember experiencing any problems because of it.
>
> > I haven't
> > found important bugs opened pointing regressions but, since it's still
> > disabled by default, I am still running in the old way instead of using
> > "userpriv usersandbox" :/
>
> I plan to send an email to the gentoo-dev mailing list, to ask if there
> are any objections to having FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" enabled by
> default.

Well, thanks a lot

It's really a pleasure to discuss with you

Old 05-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Christian Ruppert

On 05/28/12 at 12:49AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
> On 05/27/2012 03:27 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > I have seen today a fixed bug that was only reproducible for people
> > (like me) running without userpriv (but maintainer didn't found it
> > before commiting because he was running with this feature enabled), I
> > have also seen some packages skipping tests when not using userpriv. I
> > am unsure then, why default is still to not use userpriv?
>
> I think it's not enabled by default just because there's always risk
> involved in changing the defaults. I've been using it for years and I
> don't remember experiencing any problems because of it.

Same here.

> > I haven't
> > found important bugs opened pointing regressions but, since it's still
> > disabled by default, I am still running in the old way instead of using
> > "userpriv usersandbox" :/
>
> I plan to send an email to the gentoo-dev mailing list, to ask if there
> are any objections to having FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" enabled by
> default.

+1

> --
> Thanks,
> Zac

Christian Ruppert
Gentoo Linux developer, Bugzilla administrator and Infrastructure member
Fingerprint: EEB1 C341 7C84 B274 6C59 F243 5EAB 0C62 B427 ABC8