-   Gentoo Portage Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-portage-developer/)
-   -   Is portage faster when using python3? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-portage-developer/596144-portage-faster-when-using-python3.html)

Pacho Ramos 11-08-2011 11:38 PM

Is portage faster when using python3?

Reading:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_tips#Portage_and_python3

Looks like some people think portage is faster with python3, is that
true? I have python3 set as main interpreter (for catching packages
failing to build/work with it), but my portage is merged without any
python* USE flag, I guess, it's still using python2, no?

If it's faster really, is python3 safe to use with portage or it's only
offered for testing purposes?

Thanks for the info :)

Zac Medico 11-09-2011 12:53 AM

On 11/08/2011 04:38 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> Reading:
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_tips#Portage_and_python3
>
> Looks like some people think portage is faster with python3, is that
> true?

Maybe. You'd hope that python3 would be more optimized, since presumably
the code is being more actively worked on than python2.

> I have python3 set as main interpreter (for catching packages
> failing to build/work with it), but my portage is merged without any
> python* USE flag, I guess, it's still using python2, no?

By default, portage uses your default interpreter, so you're already
using python3.

> If it's faster really, is python3 safe to use with portage or it's only
> offered for testing purposes?

Nowadays, it should be about as safe as python2. The only difference
that I'm aware of is that with python3 we forcefully convert elog mails
to ascii in order to avoid encoding errors in python's smtplib module.

--
Thanks,
Zac

Pacho Ramos 11-09-2011 09:34 AM

El mar, 08-11-2011 a las 17:53 -0800, Zac Medico escribió:
> On 11/08/2011 04:38 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > Reading:
> > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_tips#Portage_and_python3
> >
> > Looks like some people think portage is faster with python3, is that
> > true?
>
> Maybe. You'd hope that python3 would be more optimized, since presumably
> the code is being more actively worked on than python2.
>
> > I have python3 set as main interpreter (for catching packages
> > failing to build/work with it), but my portage is merged without any
> > python* USE flag, I guess, it's still using python2, no?
>
> By default, portage uses your default interpreter, so you're already
> using python3.
>
> > If it's faster really, is python3 safe to use with portage or it's only
> > offered for testing purposes?
>
> Nowadays, it should be about as safe as python2. The only difference
> that I'm aware of is that with python3 we forcefully convert elog mails
> to ascii in order to avoid encoding errors in python's smtplib module.
>
> > Thanks for the info :)

Fine, I am already using it with python3 as it's my main interpreter now

Best regards :D